Chapter 27: Alara

A few hours later, Quenti found Alara, face puffy but dry-eyed, at the platform in the highest tree. Her body was curled in on itself, back pressed against the tree and legs tight against her chest. She didn't even notice Quenti's head peeking around the trunk until she spoke.

"Hey."

"Hey." Alara's eyes remained focused on the green hills in the distance—north—toward home.

"Khuno told me what happened. Micos thought you might be up here."

Alara stayed silent, her mood too dour to react.

"I yelled at Runeo for you. Just a bit." She paused. "You can yell at him some more if you want."

Alara gave a small smile at this. "Thanks."

Quenti climbed the rest of the way up and sat next to the magite on the platform, her legs crossed and shoulder brushing against the other girl's.

"I'm sorry I brought you into all of this," she said. "I know it's not much of a consolation, but I never meant for all this to become so... messy. All I wanted was to be with Khuno. It was selfish of me."

The anger Alara had latched on to for the past few weeks abated... though just the slightest bit. Enough for her to respond with a very un-Alara-like civility.

"I know." Alara said. "I just want to go home."

They sat silently, watching as the sun reached its zenith and began its slow descent toward the horizon.

"I might actually miss this place," Alara said, barely above a whisper. "I mean this platform, specifically. This view."

Quenti laughed and looked out over the sea of treetops. "I don't blame you. The tunnels are nice and all, but Sol, you can see the world from up here!"

Alara's smile fell. "Have you ever had your mind wiped?"

Quenti didn't reply immediately, her eyes focused on a distant point on the horizon. "I don't know. I mean, I guess I wouldn't know?"

"What do you think it's like?"

"Maybe it's like sleeping? Like you close your eyes one minute and then open them, and it's another time. Or maybe—maybe you don't even notice." Quenti nudged Alara's shoulder. "Hey, maybe you've had your mind wiped already?"

Alara shuddered at the thought. "I don't like the idea of someone messing with my head."

"At least you won't, you know, remember?"

"I suppose I won't miss this view then, huh?" Alara said, biting her lip. She wasn't even sure how to explain the lump sitting in her throat.

"You don't have to leave."

"You know I do. I can't imagine never seeing the Haven again—never seeing Emaru. She's the closest I've had to a mother." For an instant, the image of Ardo flashed in Alara's mind and she felt another longing pang.

"You ready to head back?"

No. A voice whispered in Alara's mind as Quenti stood, turning toward the staircase. Oh, right. Back to Lili's.

Before Alara could answer, her stomach did so for her. The growl echoed in the air, and Quenti let out a laugh.

"Runeo left on a hunt earlier, if that helps? Khuno says he wouldn't be back for a few days."

"In that case, I would love some food."

***

A fire crackled in the hearth as Lili, Quenti, Khuno, and Alara talked, the air smelling of smoke and bark. Despite the pangs of longing that plagued Alara, she felt something like contentment sitting with her friends, high above the ground.