Chapter 21: Quenti

The second her eyes had locked on Khuno's, all logic flew from Quenti. She was no longer aware of the glinting metal points that followed her every move as she leapt forward. It had been months since Khuno had last snuck into Hurazon to meet Quenti, and seeing her suddenly lifted a weight off her chest.

Khuno smelled of rain and wood smoke. Quenti breathed her in as she felt arms wrap around her waist and the touch of rough, chapped lips against her own. They stood like that for a moment, neither moving. It was Khuno that broke the kiss and eased Quenti away.

"You're late." Khuno cupped Quenti's face in her hands and looked at her questioningly.

"I know."

"Also, not where you were supposed to be. Our spies told us you were in the Haven. Did your father..." Khuno didn't need to finish the question.

Quenti shook her head. "It's complicated."

"Clearly." Khuno's voice turned icy and Quenti followed her gaze to Alara, still standing in shock by the river. The bruya looked back at her, brows creased and eyes sharp.

"It's a long story, but she's with me. Not like that." Quenti amended when Khuno's eyes narrowed.

"Alara meet Khuno. Khuno, Alara."

The other girl's mouth set in a grim line. In an instant, any questions Alara had regarding Khuno were answered. Quenti grimaced. This was not what she wanted.

"Khuno," a young male bruya stood, bow taut a few feet from them, "would you care to explain why there are two of them? No one mentioned a second magite." His dark eyes didn't leave Alara as he spoke, head tilted toward them.

"I might have accidentally kidnapped her," Quenti said, directing her words to Khuno. The bruya's brown eyes widened. "I got caught by the councilguards on my way out of Sombria and she helped me escape. Once she was with me, I couldn't leave her in the middle of the forest."

"Khuno, your girl is stupid," the male bruya said.

"Runeo," Khuno warned.

"Look," Alara stepped forward. The weapon-wielding bruyas shifted, and she stopped. "I don't want to be here. You don't want me here. I just need some supplies and I'll be on my way."

"The spy wants to leave so she can bring back her councilguard friends." The female bruya who had originally yelled moved forward, spear pointed at Alara's throat, now only half a foot away.

Alara was looking scared and Quenti felt the guilt heavy in her gut. This wasn't how she planned it, but a part of her always knew this would happen. She just hadn't cared—or she had cared more about seeing Khuno again.

Quenti turned back to Khuno, placing a hand on her arm. "Please, this is all my fault, not hers. She didn't want to come. There has to be something—"

Runeo—the male bruya with the dark eyes and thick brows—overheard her words and let out a soft growl. "Enough of this. Zinita is right. If we let her go, her friends will be here within a week." The grip on his bow tightened, sending a wave of nausea through Quenti.

Khuno stepped forward, nudging Quenti to the side. She laid a gentle hand on Runeo's arm, but the look she gave him was anything but. "You're right. We will bring her to the elders to decide what the next steps are."

The bruya's dark eyes narrowed at Khuno's words, but he lowered his bow. "Agreed. Micos, tie her up."

He directed the words at a younger male bruya, around Quenti's age, if not younger, standing in the back of the pack, staff in hand. He didn't move.