Chapter 30: Quenti

Quenti stared out of the window in the living area, feeling as though she were on vigil. She sighed at the black night that stared back at her. Lili and Khuno had fallen asleep a few hours before, with Lili taking up space on a pad in the middle of the room. Khuno had tucked herself beside Quenti, her head resting on her partner's leg as she let out a soft snore.

Quenti still had a mug of cold cafi gripped in her hands. Her fingers were stiff as she set the mug down beside her and leaned back into the cushions. Despite the exhaustion of the last day, the coil of fear twisting in her stomach overpowered any weariness she should have been feeling.

Had Alara made it? If not, how long until word reaches them? If she did make it, how long would it be until the rest of Arbol discovered their missing prisoner? More importantly, what would happen if they found out she, Lili, and Khuno had been the ones to assist the "dangerous" magite?

Just after dinner, Khuno had locked Lili's bedroom door and maneuvered out the window and back into the living space. Lili and Quenti had taken the time to loudly yell about Alara locking them out of the room for the guard's benefit. So, they were safe for now. But how long would that last?

Quenti ran a hand through Khuno's hair and closed her eyes, hoping for sleep to take her.

She didn't know how long she had dropped off for, but when she awoke, the night outside the window hadn't changed, and the hearth still flickered with life.

"Quil'la's command..."

"She said... morning... can't leave."

"We... question... just following..."

As Quenti blinked the sleep from her eyes, she could just make out the snippets of a hushed conversation outside the doorway. She sat up, jostling Khuno in the process. The girl groaned and looked around the room in confusion.

"What time is it?" Khuno asked sullenly.

"Night still," Quenti said in a hushed tone. "I heard something outside."

Khuno's eyes sharpened at this. She stood up without hesitation and pattered to the doorway. She eyed the club that leaned against the threshold near her right hand before pulling the door open.

"Everything okay out here?" she said, voice bathed in a phony exhaustion.

An instant later, Khuno was pushed aside as three shadows filled the room.

The dim light from the fire lit up the snarl on Zinita's face. Runeo and another bruya Quenti recognized but didn't know were behind her.

Lili was awake now. Her eyes narrowed, but she gave the three guests a tight smile. "I know I cook an excellent breakfast, but—"

"Where's the spy?" Zinita asked.

"Spy? I don't believe we know any spies," Khuno said, still leaning near the doorway. Quenti could see the club behind her partner, her hand inches from the handle as she spoke.

"Where's Alara?" Runeo said.

"It's the middle of the Sol-forsaken night," Lili said, "so my guess is she's sleeping." Though her words were innocent enough, Lili had a fire in her eyes that Quenti had not seen before. She looked at Runeo as she spoke, and surprisingly enough, he had the decency to look ashamed.

Zinita, on the other hand, exhibited no shame as she pushed past Lili and Quenti, gripping the handle of the door to the bedroom, trying to shove it open.

"Why is it locked?"

"She was afraid of being kidnapped in the middle of the night," Lili said. "Apparently for good reason."

Zinita growled and jammed her shoulder against the wooden door. It creaked against her weight, but didn't budge. Quenti held her breath as Zinita took a step back before slamming the door again. It responded with a crack. It took two more hits before it splintered along the edge and swung open.

She and the other bruya both rushed into the room as Runeo stood back, apparently just watching the scene play out with the rest of them.

"She isn't here," Zinita said. Her eyes were wild, face flushed with anger. "The room's empty."

"There are some freshly snapped branches just outside the window," the other bruya said.

Runeo's eyebrow shot up, "She climbed down to the ground?" There was a hint of amusement in his voice. "Maybe she's braver than I thought."

"This one probably helped the bitch escape," Zinita sneered and stepped toward Quenti.

"Quenti," Lili calmly stepped between the two, "has been with Khuno and me all evening, so I'm not sure what you're implying."

The angry bruya glared at Lili, eyes narrow and unblinking, but she didn't move toward Quenti again.

"It doesn't matter," Zinita finally said. "We'll track her either way."

Runeo shoved Khuno against the wall and Quenti stepped forward without thinking, eyes automatically scanning the room for some sort of weapon. Lili stopped her with a gentle tug on the arm.

"Hear this," Runeo said, his voice rough and low. "If we find her, we will make sure she pays for Puka's life with her own. Don't think she won't." He snarled something else under his breath before shoving her away. The small bruya hit the wall behind her with a thud.

"Come on," he continued. "She'll have landed somewhere under the house. We'll start there. If we're lucky, she's already a stain of blood on the forest floor." With that, Runeo stormed out, leaving Zinita and the other bruya to follow.

"That sol-forsaken piece of..." Lili started.

Quenti winced at the stream of colorful expletives that flew from Lili's mouth. Her heart beat hard and fast in her chest and as she caught her breath. It took her a moment to realize what Khuno was doing.

The bruya had slipped into her trousers and tunic and was buckling her sandals. Her club sat strapped to her waist, and she set about grabbing a set of bolas from the wall. "I'm borrowing these, Lili."

"You're..." Lili started in confusion.

"I have to find Micos. Runeo wants us to follow them. I don't think he trusts Zinita's judgement at this point either."

"He—when—" Quenti stuttered. "Is he a mind-talker, because none of what I just saw indicated any of that."

Khuno gave a half smile. "No need to be a mind-talker when you can just whisper. He said as much when he had me shoved against the wall." Khuno looked around the room and down at her belt. Apparently satisfied, she turned to leave. Quenti felt a small jolt of panic. Should she follow? This was her fault, in the end. She should help. But she felt frozen in place, watching as her partner headed out.

Khuno turned back, looking at Quenti and Lili, lips tight. "You should tell Quil'la what's happened at sunrise. Either Alara will have had enough of a head start to get away, or—well, it's best Quil'la knows what's happening."

Quenti and Lili both nodded silently and watched Khuno slip from the house.

"I think it's time for more cafi," Lili said. Her voice was tight, and she gave Quenti a smile that felt more like a grimace.

"How did I let this happen?" Quenti said. She hadn't moved. She was afraid her legs wouldn't hold her if she tried. "This is all my fault, isn't it?"

"Maybe it started that way, but you're not alone in this one anymore," Lili said softly. "Now sit down and share some cafi and guilt with me."