CHAPTER SIX - Returning to Mirkwood

"Do you have to go?" Aduial sighed, she watched as her friend saddled up his horse. Arcturus sighed as well and turned around to face Aduial.

"You heard what King Thranduil said. I had to be back at least a few days after we left. It has been a week now, I have to return." Arcturus turned and gave Aduial a hug, he'll miss her dearly but it will be a few months until they will see each other again.

"Alright.. stay safe."

"I will have Daena and Callan with me. It will be fine. And you will have Silas with you." Arcturus smiled at Aduial who smiled back up at him. Arcturus let go of his best friend, saying his final goodbyes before mounting Zephyr. Silas was staying in Imladris to run errands.

"I named the horse you gave me." Aduial looked up at Arcturus. Arcturus looked down curiously at her, she hadn't mentioned her horse's name to him yet.

"What did you name him?" He asked, moving Zephyr to the side so he could see Aduial better. The Dúnedain looked back up at Arcturus with a smile.

"Carver." She replied, Arcturus grinned, looking back at the stallion.

"That is a nice name."

Daena and Callan trotted their way over, both packed and ready to go. Fern and Scout were eager to go running, as was Zephyr.

"Here. Take care of Aras for me." Arcturus leant down and handed Aduial the baby deer he had healed. Aduial wiped some tears away and smiled up at her best friend.

"I will."

"Ads, it will be fine. Silas, Elladan, Elrohir, Dre, Cas and Arwen will look after you. Elrond isn't that scary and he will also look after you. You will go fine with your training and I wish you luck." Arcturus said, he grinned at the Dúnedain before turning Zephyr and leading him out of the gates of Rivendell. Daena and Callan soon followed their captain with Daena yelling out her farewells to Aduial.

"I'll miss you." Aduial whispered before turning and entering the House of Elrond, for the first time alone. She held onto Aras gently, entering her chambers and running to the window so she could watch the trio descend.

Once they were out of sight, Aduial slumped against the wall, feeling quite lonely. She sat there for around ten minutes, letting the feeling of being without Arcturus for the first time in years sink in.

"Aduial?" The Dúnedain's head shot up at the sound of an all too familiar voice.

"Legolas! What are you doing here?" She stood up as fast as she could and practically jumped into the elven prince's arms.

"I could ask the same for you?" He set Aduial down on her feet as she looked up at him.

"I'm here for healing training with Elrond. You?" Aduial sat down on the bed, beside Legolas. The prince laughed.

"I'm taking a rest here while I'm still on search for Strider. You've grown since I last saw you. Around 8 years old for you, wasn't it? Also, have
you met Arcturus? And how is Tauriel?" Aduial frowned at the mention of both her friends and tears resurfaced. Legolas' eyes widened. Fear struck him, he tried to read her eyes but they didn't really tell him much.

"Hey, what happened?" He asked, placing a hand on Aduial's shoulder. He feared the worst. Did they both not make it? Had they both died?

"Tauriel died of a broken heart eight years ago. Arcturus just left here a few minutes ago actually- he's been training me since we met after the war with Azog." Aduial looked up, Legolas was frowning. He didn't known that Tauriel had died and it shattered his heart. His best friend is dead and he wasn't there to comfort his other best friend.

"Arcturus... how is he?" Legolas spoke slowly, he was shocked that he had only just missed him leaving and was kind of disappointed that he couldn't see him, even just for a minute.

"He's... not too bad. You can tell when he has his- er moments, I don't blame him though, he helps me through my moments. His friendship with Silas is helping him. But he really misses you, you can kind of tell. I think even though he's surrounded by people who love him, he still feels as lonely as ever." Aduial frowned slightly, she worried about her friend a lot. As much as she knows Arcturus tries to hide it, she knows he's still struggling.

"I miss him too.. I know I told him we would see each other soon but in reality I have no clue when I'll see him again." Legolas sighed, leaning on the frame of the window. Aduial moved forward and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"He comes back in a month." Aduial followed his gaze to a distant fire, they both knew it was elven made by how small it was compared to how trolls and orcs make them.

"I won't be here in a month." Legolas drooped, he slid down the wall, Aduial followed him. They both sighed.

"Then write him a letter and I'll give it to him." Aduial concluded, a smile on her face. Legolas thought for a moment before nodding eagerly.

Legolas quickly stood up and ran to grab a quill and some parchment. He came back soon after and took a seat at the table where he began to write. Aduial came over and helped him. They made many mistakes and had to start over at least five times but by nightfall, they had the perfect letter.

"He will love this." Aduial laughed as they both walked down the halls to dinner. Elladan and Elrohir soon joined them as they sat down at the table.

"How was the hunt?" Aduial asked, the twins grinned back, gesturing to the table and all the food in pride. The two laughed at their dramatic gestures and began to serve as Elrond sat down.

"Prince Legolas, we welcome you to Imladris. How was your journey?" Elrond started, Legolas looked up and smiled. He missed coming to Rivendell and going hunting with the twins.

"It was well, thank you." Legolas smiled, calmly. Aduial nudged him with a smirk on her face.

"And yet, he wishes his love was here." Aduial practically sung. Legolas felt his face burn as he tried to busy himself by eating. Elrond chuckled in amusement and the twins made cooing sounds.

"And who is this love you speak of, Aduial?" Elrond questioned, raising his eyebrows, he was clearly amused by this as the woodland prince practically shrunk in his seat.

"Captain Arcturus of Mirkwood, My Lord." Aduial smirked, Legolas playfully glared back. The twins and Lord Elrond froze slightly.

"He was here not four hours ago. He had been fighting orcs in the South. Callan, Aduial and Arcturus were injured. We sent Callan and Arcturus back to Mirkwood to rest." Elrond spoke slowly, Legolas' head shot up before he turned to Aduial within seconds.

"You did not say that.."

"Must've slipped my mind." Aduial looked the other direction. Legolas sighed, he then looked at her hands and he did in fact notice the bandages around them.

"The sooner I find Strider - the sooner I can see him." Legolas had to remind himself, no matter how much he wanted to return to Mirkwood to see his father and his love, he had to stay and find Strider.

"Strider, you say?" Elladan started, eyeing the prince.

"Why are you looking for Estel?" Elrohir finished, Elrond shook his head at his sons. Legolas looked confused.

"He roams the wild in the East with the other Dúnedains. Look there next." Elrond smiled, Legolas grinned. He finally had a lead! He could find him quicker.

"Go rest, Legolas. I wish you well on your journey." Elrond stood from the table and gracefully left after he bid his farewells.

Legolas returned to his chambers after Aduial had gone to bed and reread the letter five more times just to make sure he didn't miss anything. Before long, he had fallen asleep.