CHAPTER SEVEN - The Letter

"Goodbye Legolas. Stay safe on your journey." Aduial smiled, it had been an exactly three days since the two of them had reunited and now Aduial was saying her farewells to the woodland prince has he saddled Satin. He still had her since the battle when Arcturus had given her to him since he had lost his own horse in the streets of Dale.

"Goodbye Aduial. Stay safe." Legolas grinned, he mounted Satin and turned her in the Eastern direction. Aduial smiled and nodded before Legolas took off. She let out a long and exaggerated sigh as she turned around and entered the castle to return to her classes.

Back in Mirkwood, the spider infestation was getting worse by the minute. Arcturus's patrol team were outnumbered 20-36, the odds were not in their favour.

"Callan. Go get backup. Talk to the king if you must." Arcturus ordered, he wasn't as.. kind as Tauriel would've been in this situation so it kind of took Callan by surprise when he heard Arcturus's cold voice.
"But Arcturus-"

"Callan. That's an order. We need backup." Arcturus was still angry at him for trying to hurt his dear friend and Callan knew that. However, that didn't stop him from getting upset at Arcturus.

"You care more about that Dúnedain than your own kin." Arcturus stopped. Those words were familiar to him. Arcturus turned around and glared daggers at Callan for a moment.

"Callan. I do care about my kin- why do you think I am requesting back up? If I did not care, then I would not be trying to help here. You are failing to follow direct orders and it might cost you your position. Daena! Can you go get backup? Callan is incapable of simply following direct orders." Arcturus continued to glare at Callan before turning Daena in question, who nodded and ran back off to the kingdom. Callan just stood there, staring at Arcturus's descending form.

Callan watched Arcturus return to his post as he slaughtered the spiders. After what felt like hours, Daena returned with Silas and his army, who helped them destroy the nest and tend to the injured.

Once it was destroyed, they were able to return to the kingdom. Arcturus was carrying one of his soldiers, completely ignoring any attempt of conversation that Callan tried to ignite.

Arcturus brushed off the webs from his armour before heading to the kings halls. He was given permission to enter by the standing guard and walked up the stairs to the platform.

"What news do you bring from your patrol?" Thranduil asked, he was sat on his throne and his crown was elegantly placed on his head.

"We were greatly outnumbered today, they were more aggressive than I've ever seen them, My Lord. And to top it all off, one of our guards failed to follow simple orders to get backup." Thranduil leaned forward as Arcturus explained what happened on patrol. The king nodded in understanding as his captain had finished his explanation.

"If he tries that again, I ask that you send him to me." Thranduil said slowly, Arcturus nodded in response and turning away as he was dismissed.

Another week later and Arcturus was sent to get Aduial from Rivendell. He made sure not to be followed by Daena or Callan again and successfully left at dawn.

It was a few day journey as he wasn't moving as fast as he was last time. He had all the time in the world to get there and there wasn't the pressures of travelling with people to hold him back. He made it to Rivendell at daybreak on the third day, with no encounters with an orc.

"Arcturus!" A loud voice was heard as Arcturus dismounted his horse. Not even a few seconds, he was crash tackled into a hug from his beloved friend.
Arcturus laughed as he hugged the girl back just as eagerly.