Chapter- Thirty-one

After a decade or so whenever I would be counting the best moments of my life, this evening would top my list, the first evening where Gin and i had walked and held hands, not as friends but as couple. This was no less than a hit magic show.

As the silence set in and we walked on the same road where we had walked million times before, my heart couldn’t hide its leaping happiness. How badly I had wanted this and for so long! No barriers, no negative thoughts, no fear that could subdue my energy. It is what is it and it wasn’t going to change on account of anyone’s interference. As for Gini, she never seemed so relaxed and satisfied.

“The day I met Vivek” Gini released her warm breath to describe the road the led us into a disastrous situation until now, “I liked him instantly but the feelings resided less than an hour. The more he tried to impress, the stuffier it got. When he held my hands the first time, I felt weird. It was gentle and sweet and romantic but they weren’t yours. He made me laugh at his silly jokes and funniest incidents but they weren’t as silly as our drunk night. He accompanied me to the school exit after a whole day of failed attempts to capture my attention. I felt so empty and shallow. I wanted to understand why I was being blind to his loving gestures, why wasn’t I feeling good about how effective his personality was”…Gin paused and moved her eyes at me, “Finally when you arrived with Rahul that afternoon, I felt enormously relieved and oddly filled. And I realised what I was missing. But I was yet to find out the reason”. Gin broke and took deep breath. All the while she held my hand loosely till the last sentence when she clutched it with both her hands.

“Why didn’t you come to me? Haven’t we solved every problem together? Why enduring alone, Gin when you have a faithful servant following you 24/7”? I said with a heavy heart about how mercilessly she chose to deal with the sufferings alone but didn’t involve me.

“I wasn’t getting the hub of the problem. I knew it had to do something with you but what triggered this empty feeling when you’re not around was still out of my thinking capacity. I knew I love you but what made it scary it wasn’t the kind of love I expected it to be…not until the evening you refused to remain friends.”

“I was the idiot. Should have told you earlier. I apologise for every suffering that came from me.” I rubbed her hand and brought to my lips to give it a kiss.

All the chaos, sufferings and anxieties that we both had been through was painful but it ended on a sweet note. As a man I was more than satisfied but as for Gini, she was still struggling to have found the answer through someone’s heart break.

“Maya really had feelings for you. Since two years she had nagged me to introduce you both but I never let that happen. And when she finally made her way to you, I felt disparaged, ignored and beaten. I hated myself for being a jealous cookie.” Gin looked at her feet and said, “if I hadn’t seen her kissing you that evening, I would never have determined to fight.”

“Well, about that…” I cleared my throat and unloaded the heaviness off my chest, “Maya and I weren’t a couple. She just helped me understanding you and the situations”.

As soon as I hit the last line, Gin suddenly suspended walking and fixed her glances at me anxiously, trying to believe every word I just said. I knew she won’t forgive me easily but I guess, I wasn’t afraid anymore. I did what was needed to be done and the result is standing few centimetres apart from me.

“Maya helped you? You want me to believe that? She dotes you. She would never do that.” Gini’s worrisome face gave me a strike but the truth was different that she anticipates.

“Gin, I know you won’t forgive me for this one. But Maya and I played along to distract you. I was so freaked out of the fear of losing you that this was the best idea from Rahul’s bucket I granted to follow. I didn’t know about Maya’s feelings in the beginning. Rahul uncapped it later that evening and you confirmed it in the ice cream parlour….but the ship had sailed in full throttle. Withdrawing the plan would have made us looked suspicious.” I held her hands again and said, “Although I had taken the wrong route, but I met you eventually”

“And the kiss? Was it in the plan too”?

“No, she did it voluntarily.”

For a very brief period of time, Gini was dangerously quiet. I tried to figure out what she must be thinking and how would she take it off on me. But when I gave in, I was prepared with the consequences. Whatever punishment she wanted to give me, I would accept as long as it wasn’t about being back to our former relationship.

“Tintin, you are an asshole!”

“sorry”

“You used her!”

“Not really, I’m sure I had made it clear to her.”

“You made me look like a fool.”

“Sorry”

“you plotted behind me.”

“Sorry”

“Stop saying sorry”

“Sorry”

A range of unreadable emotions poured down on her face. Was it irksome that she was fooled by the same girl who she had kept under her finger? Or that girl helped me accomplishing her made her bothered? Girls have their own set of dilemmas and theories which can’t either be solved or resolved by an idiot like me.

“I need to have a word of truce with Maya before things get out of hand” She spoke in an unyielding manner.

“I told you she helped me. She is an Ally not an enemy”

“She is a wounded tigress. She helped because she loved you. Why would anyone be bothered helping one? Nothing comes free in this world”.

“What about Vivek, then? I would never have any pact with the bastard. I would pull the trigger if he was found in the hundred metres radius of you.”

“Its different. We started but didn’t work out. I wasn’t free loading myself on him”.

This time we both laughed.

Although coming high school days were going to be tricky and uncomfortable as long as some issues remain unresolved but I won’t let it dwell between us.

My brain was itching to deliver a confirmation message to both Rahul and Maya of our victory. Just imagining their startled face gave me a humph. Maya won’t stop teasing me for this life and Rahul won’t stop giving me weird advices. I immediately typed and left the message in their inbox.

Successful confession. Together now.

The smell of rain soaked lands was still circling in the air. Our feet rhythmed together breaking the crisp blow of wind. We tightened our clutches and swayed harmonically. It still felt so surreal. Every nerve of my body was screaming in content. She’s with me and will be forever.

Breaking the song of romance, Gini suddenly pinched my arm and giggled, “Just checking if its all real”.

“People generally pinch themselves” I bantered.

“People generally don’t plot against their beloved too” she roared at me.

“I guess…I should be used to hearing this now” I said in an apologetic tone but inside my head I repeated the term she held to describe herself, ' beloved … beloved… beloved’…
“I will let it slide this time as I was too kissed by Vivek” she stifled a wicked grin.

“Yeah….On the ground among hundreds of audience. The bastard knows how to play dirty” I gritted through my teeth.

“Okay, we are even.” She left my hand and jogged along the road, emitting the infections smile all the way. Her hair swayed with her body and her skirt was blowing against the chilly wind. She blew me a kiss from afar and yelled, “Come on, boyfriend, let’s have a race…”

“Generally lovers say, ‘Let’s have a kiss'.” I ran fast to match her speed.

“Generally people don’t plot against their beloveds either” she turned back and gave me a pitiful look.

“Damn it….” I scoffed inwardly. She won’t forget it easily.

The evening was setting in with a beautiful promise. My love story finally kicked its feet on the ground. Although the heartaches of two others will haunt us for sometime which eventually proved love doesn’t justify everything. This might be the happiest moment of my entire life but someone around the corner must be sitting down lazily being failed and beaten in love. And for the only time I felt bad for Vivek. This is the effect of happiness; when you’re happy, you won’t hold grudges for your worst enemy.

***

Thank you for reading.