III

Taking a deep breath, you clear your head, silently scolding yourself for letting your thoughts get the best of you while at a time like this. Gulping, you quickly get on your knees, arms making their way under his body and with one deep breath, you haul him up, making sure to support his body properly as you lower your head and make a run for your awaiting car.

~~~~~

Bored, you shuffle around on the couch, the television blasting whatever cartoon that your 10 year old self was too bored to pay attention to. It's been 2 hours since your dad had called the house phone, telling you to wait for him for a little surprise. But now, instead of going out with Mikey and his siblings, you're all alone in the house.

Hungry and bored.

After a few more minutes of doing nothing, you've finally had enough of waiting for your dad, standing up, you made your way to the kitchen, taking out some eggs and some instant ramen, you took out the only pot with the handle still intact and put it under the faucet, waiting for the water to reach the imaginary line. But just as you were about to place the pot on the stove, the door handle moved from the outside and after a few seconds, the door slowly opened, revealing your grinning father, a huge box in both arms and a few plastic bags hanging on his arms.

"Hey hey, princess, mind helping your old man? I think I might fall over." He jokes with a smile which makes the lines on his face show, eyes disappearing as he notices the look of wonder plastered on your face.

Jogging over, you take the plastic bags, peering inside to see a bunch of big plastic bowls along with a small sack. Setting the bags down, you closed the door behind him and perked up when you heard small shuffling from inside the box, along with a few barks. Eyes wide, you ran in front of your dad, lips barely containing the questions that you had for your dad as he finally started setting the box down. Looking inside, you gasp. Not believing the sight.

Puppies.

There are 2 puppies inside the box, wrapped in a small towel.

Looking at your father for approval, he nods, gently handing you the black and white puppy while he sets the black puppy next to your sitting form on the floor. "You think you can look after them while I make dinner?" He whispers, a teasing glint in his eyes when you energetically beam at him, hands already softly running across the tiny puppies' back, grin only widening when they start climbing over your lap.

After a few minutes of playing with the puppies, you finally set them back inside the box when they started yawning and falling asleep under the couch.

Heading to the kitchen, you passed your father who was frying some noodles. "Mama said to not put sake in the noodles." You remind him, walking past him and to the bathroom where the mop was.

"I didn't put any, I swear~"

Humming, you go back to the living room in order to clean up the little pee puddles that the puppies left. After, you took a quick look at them before returning the mop in the bathroom and taking a seat by the counter where your father was busy cutting up some ingredients. "Did you tell mama? She's gonna be so mad." You teased, opening your mouth when your dad held up a small piece of boiled egg. "She said we're not allowed to have pets since we already have a lot of cats." You mention the cats that you and your dad have been feeding at the back of the house.

"Well..." Moving away from you to put the cut up ingredients into the pan, you hear loud sizzling as he quickly stirs them around, adding a bit of soy sauce after. "Your mum won't be home until Friday." Looking back at you with the same mischievous look from earlier, you can't help but laugh out loud. "It's easier to apologize than ask for permission, right?"