12) Going for Supplies

I checked the calendar today and calculated that my mom has had plenty of time to get home even if she was on foot. So many things have happened since the EMP. I've been a witness to an execution, almost killed in a massacre, about starved, and seen more dead people than I can count on two hands. It's time to go.

Steven and I are leaving this week after my birthday party. We just need some more food for the trip. There is no guarantee we can find supplies along the route, and it is a long journey from Mount Airy to Sylva and the mountains of Western North Carolina by foot. We have to leave soon because it will take us weeks to get there. The weather is good for traveling now; we have to leave before it turns any cooler. We will not survive a winter in the mountains unless we find my dad.

It is Steven's idea. "Let's go to the mall."

"No, not safe," I say. "Nothing there. Picked clean by now."

"That is why it is perfect. Everybody probably thinks that."

"We are not going to the mall."

"Ok, I have a better idea. Our school."

"Steven, we have already searched the cafeteria at school. It was all used up when they made it the the feeding center. And besides, do you really want to go back there again?"

"No, no I don't, but you won't take me to the mall, so. And we didn't search the rooms. You know the teachers always stashed food in their rooms. Remember Mr. Ramsay? He was always munching on those peanuts and fruit snacks and drinking those pops. That man could eat. And besides, I cannot eat another apple."

We have been eating apples for a week. Mr. Thomas brought them over from what he called "his stash" next door. While they are filling and satisfying, anything eaten for every meal becomes "unappeeling" (my lame attempt at humor during dark times).

I think back to what seems like my long ago high school days. I remember Mr. Ramsay, skinny as a rail, but always munching on something. Steven has a point. "Ok, but we got to be careful. I only have three bullets left."

Before we leave for school, we go and check on Nana. She is Steven's real nana, but she is like my Nana too. She is sitting on her couch in front of the TV that is not ever going to play her shows again. It is time for The Price is Right  she tells me. She is waiting patiently for the power to pop back on. She is holding the remote. Her walker is by the couch. She is bundled up like a baby in the fuzzy robe I gave her last Christmas, though it has to be ninety degrees in her house.

"What you kids doing today?" she asks like we were really going to the mall or school today because that is what teenagers are supposed to be doing.

"Going for supplies," I say. "We'll bring you something back. Something special." And then I add because I can not lie to her, "And then, me and Steven are getting ready to head out for my dad's."

"And that is exactly what you will do young lady. I will be fine. The Lord will look after me."

"Yes," I say because I have been praying about it, "He will."

"Is Jim Newsome still coming to get you?" asks Steven. He is as anxious as me to leave this place.

"Jim walked into town early this morning carrying some apples he had in his cellar. He said he'd be back later this week. He's been looking for some gas for his pickup so he can give me a ride. You two need to be careful. Jim said that crazy fool they call The One is headed here. He saw a group looked like a bunch of messed up soldiers coming into town. He told me to close the blinds and act like nobody was home. Jim told me to stay hid, and he is coming back for me by next Friday. Going to take me to the farm."

"Don't worry Nana." I pat my gun. "We can look after ourselves."

"With all three bullets," says Steven.

Nana laughs. "Eliot, when you get back. We'll go in the back room and scrounge around some. I think George left some ammunition in that back closet. You know, he was in the Army. He liked his guns. We can look. I already got me enough here to hold off the bastards." Nana pats her gun underneath the fuzzy robe.

"Ok, Nana. But don't worry about what Jim Newsome said. I am sure The One has better things to do than take over this town. There is nothing left here. Most everybody is gone. People been seeing that man since the day the lights went out. Everybody is just running scared."

"You're right honey, but be careful. I got my pistol right here, if he comes in, so I'm safe. But, y'all be careful. And here, take an apple with you."

"Ugh, thanks Nana, but we just ate," says Steven.

No matter how hungry we are, Steven and I do not want another apple for now.