29) Birthday Surprise

After I calm down, Torin guides me to the kitchen where he has prepared another feast. There are candles and flowers from my neighbor's garden on the table.

One more robbery for Mr. Thomas to worry about.

"Happy birthday," Torin says.

I smile my thank you.

He pulls the chair out for me like my mother always said a gentleman should do, and like my dad used to do for my mom. He places a plate of steaming spaghetti and meatballs in front of me. I raise my eyebrows just a little.

"Sorry, I am not much of a thief. I took what I liked. I hid these for a surprise. Six big cans of spaghetti and meatballs. It will be here all week, I am afraid."

"It's ok, I love it."

"Good, because it is your day. I want to make sure it is special."

He pours me some wine, but only an inch.

I raise my eyebrows again and ask, "Are you sure? Remember what happened last night. I am still not the legal drinking age."

"Moderation is the key. And of course, it is the end of the world. Everyone who wants one should be entitled to a drink, no matter their age. After all, considering what we have been through, we deserve it." He raises his glass and toasts. "If it must be the end of the world, at least we are together."

"Why Tori, are you parrying with me?"

"Yes, my lady, I am."

"I keep telling you that I am no lady."

"Indeed. And that is what I find so fascinating about you."

"Well, I will try not to burp in your face tonight."

"Most considerate, my lady." He offers me a plate of wilted lettuce salad. "I should like to know more about you, Eliot. Tell me about your parents."

I tell him about my parents, Joseph and Jane, and their breakup. I tell him how they met in college and my mom was now with one of their old college professors, though she insists it is business only. I tell him about my father and how he went from reputable businessman to half crazy with fear of what he thought was going to be the end of us all. How he wanted me to be ready.

"So, that is why you know so much. Why you can pick a lock, fire a gun, remain calm in a crisis?"

"It is why I know some things, but I am not calm. I am a chicken. I'm not brave like my dad."

"I disagree. You are the bravest girl I know."

Either it is the wine or my complete dislike of compliments, but I blush. I completely change the subject. "What happened to your friends? Where are they now? Did you get separated? What happened to your twin, the real Jack Taylor? Your bodyguard?"

Torin pauses before he speaks. "Jack Taylor is not only my bodyguard, he is family. He is a cousin, a distant cousin. That is why we look so much alike."

I tell him about Carli. "I have a cousin too. Her name is Carli, and she just turned twenty three a month ago. She goes to High Point University. She's from New York City. Her parents were there on the day of the EMP. The news says New York is gone, all gone." I let that sink in. "I hope she's ok. She is naive and has zero survival skills, but Carli is so cool. Not like me. We are not anything alike. She is pretty and prissy and boy crazy."

"So, you are close?"

"Yes, when I get to see her. She is great. I hope she is ok. She is so delicate and feminine and gorgeous, so gorgeous."