33) Memorial Day

Today is Hero Day. The day all over America when soldiers are recognized for the ultimate sacrifice for our country. It is an appropriate day for veterans to show up to fight to honor the fallen and a country still worth dying for.

Death is what I am worried about as I survey the new recruits to the cause.

Clay and his friends arrive at 7 am, or zero seven hundred hours, as he calls it. There are thirty soldiers of all ages and states of repair - some missing arms or legs, but all "willing and ready to fight" according to Clay.

"Where's that prince?" he demands a little bossier than I remember. "My buddies have been hearing all about him. I told them he was a military man."

Torin, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes steps forward. "At your service." He salutes, and the soldiers salute him back.

"Private Hellman, reporting for duty, sir," says a young woman in an army uniform.

"We're here to save the prince, sir. Here to save you," says another.

Torin smiles and looks uncomfortable but says, "Thank you gentlemen and ladies. We can use all the help we can get. I am especially pleased to see trained soldiers come to our aid."

"Yes sir," says Private Hellman. "I was in ROTC all four years in school."

"We've assigned a security detail to you, sir. For your protection," says Clay. "Hellman, Sorenson, and Smith."

Prince Torin surveys his guards. Young Hellman, even younger Smith with a cane, and Sorenson missing his right arm below the elbow.

"Best shots in the bunch," says Clay.

How, I wonder, looking at Sorenson with a missing limb, but something about his manner makes me think Clay is right about him.

Private Hellman sees me looking at Sorenson and adds, " Sniper. He had 14 confirmed kills, sir."

Prince Torin says, "Yes," and smiles again and looks uncomfortable still. "Thank you. You are dismissed. Go find some breakfast."

The soldiers and a few of their wives and girlfriends, some of whom look like they have not had a meal in a day or two, trot towards the smell of bacon frying.

I am pleased because with Torin as the leader of our band of misfits, it means he won't be leaving soon. And though he looks uncomfortable with his new assignment, there is something about the way he is carrying himself now that makes me believe he is a natural leader. I smile at the prince and tease him with, "Guards, security detail, huh? They must know how important you are. Do you think they know that there's an official fan club? They can join for five dollars."

"That is not amusing," says Torin as he stomps away.

I follow him. "What are you mad about? I thought you loved the attention?"

"I do not want to be the person guarded like a small child at the seashore. I do not want to be the person people sign up to die for."

"Well, that is funny because people have been protecting you all your life. You are a prince. You have always had people protecting you. What's changed?"

"People died protecting me, Eliot. People I cared about. Family and friends."

"Ok, I get it. But we have what we need. People are ready to fight. This is great. We can fight back now. We can beat the One Nation Army."

"Eliot, I have been in front of or behind this army since Washington. We are outnumbered and outgunned. They are large, organized, and ruthless. We are doomed."

"Torin, hush right now. Other people will hear you. We have to fight. Look what happened to Nana. To children. We have to fight, or it's all over. Don't you understand? Our country will be gone. My home will be gone. My family will be gone."

"Elie, look around. It's already gone."

"I will fight with or without you," I say as I turn and pick up my bike.

"Where are you going?

"We have more mouths to feed. I'm going to get the supplies at the house."

"I'll go with you," says Steven who probably heard most of our conversation. "You might need some help." He turns to Torin. "Don't worry Prince Torin. I'm going to borrow a bike. I'll keep her safe."

We ride without speaking until we get to my house. As we are packing up the MRE's, I explain where they came from.

Steven laughs. "Ironic. Pretty good birthday presents after all. We should have opened them earlier when we were eating all those green apples. Would have saved some bellyaches."

"Yes, and definitely some gas."

He examines some of the meals. "Apple pie? Better than those green apples I'm sure. Nana loved apple pie."

"Let's eat one in her honor."

We eat one and then another.

"Man, that is good," says Steven looking at the wrapper and sniffing it and licking the crumbs. "You know he is right. The prince is right. It is all gone. Our old world, our old lives are gone. All we knew before. Just gone. Not coming back. We need to do what your dad said. We need to leave. Take care of ourselves. To hell with everybody else."

I know how bad Steven must feel if he says these things. "I know you really don't feel that way, Steven. I'm sorry about Nana."

"She really loved apple pie," he says choking up.

"Yes, she did. And she really loved you."

"Yeah, she did." He takes a bite of his third pie. " All gone, it is all gone. I am finally and most definitely all alone now."

"I'm still here." I hold Steven, and he lets it all go. He cries for what feels like an hour, and I let him. He stops, and then he declares that it is enough.

"My Nana would not want me crying for her. She would want me to remember her as brave and capable."

"Yes," I agree, "she would. She was all about girl power."

"Ah, speaking of your power. You have your prince now. Don't lie to me. Tell me everything. I can see it all over you. You are gone. Who wouldn't be? He is gorgeous. Give me all the details. I swear girl, I can't leave you by yourself. I come back and you have deserted me for, of all things, a prince. Is he a good kisser?"

"You know you are number one in my life."

"And?"

"Yes, he's a good kisser."

"Tell me more. Did you dance with him?"

"Dance with him?"

"At the ball. Every girl wants to dance with her prince at the ball."

"Steven, are you crazy? There's been no ball. There's no music. No dancing. No electricity. You are straight up nuts."

"Elie, every girl wants to dance at least once in her lifetime with a prince, and if you get that chance, you better take it. For all the girls."

I look at Steven like he is crazy because he is crazy. "Ok," I say, "I will dance with the prince if I get a chance, for the girls."

Steven claps his hands and says "Now, tell me everything."