senior year

✧

The first day of senior year was something Evelyn was practically dreading. She didn't want to start thinking about it but, as senior year came around that meant she'd have to start thinking about her future and getting serious about where she wanted to go. Evelyn hadn't told Asher yet in fears of rubbing it in his face but offers from potential schools were already pouring in.

"You guys know the drill!" Jennifer clapped her hands. "Line up at the door so I can take your first day of school pictures."

Enrique scoffed pushing his sister out of the way as she pushed him in between her and Alejandro. "Move, Evelyn. You go in the middle."

"That's not fair," she whined, stomping her foot on the floor. "I'm the older twin. I should be first."

"By like two seconds. Plus, I'm taller," he argued. "Move it."

"Children," Joaquin held up his hand. "Can you please pretend you like each other and take this picture?"

Evelyn reluctantly agreed, moving to stand in between her brother's as she looked into the camera and smiled. Her parents practically tearing up at the sight of their children growing up.

"First day of kindergarten and senior year," Jennifer sniffed, bringing a tissue to her face. "Maybe we should have another one?"

The three kids shared horrified expressions hearing those words slip from their mother's mouth. "No!"

"Get to school," Joaquin shooed his children away, handing them their lunchboxes. "Don't be late."

"Oh, great," Evelyn groaned. "I'm stuck driving these two around like a single mom."

☆☆☆

Evelyn walked into school with her One Direction lunchbox that she refused to get rid of in her hand as she greeted her boyfriend who was patiently waiting for her at the entrance.

"Why is JJ doing the announcements?" she asked, cringing at his corny punchlines.

Asher stopped in his tracks and gave her a knowing look. "Because no else wanted to."

"I mean, it wasn't terrible," she said. "Kind of funny actually. So you ready to soar?"

"I'm not soaring anywhere, babe," he sighed. "They clipped my wings last year."

"I heard the golf team's look for a new member," she teased. "I'm kidding. What happened is in the past. You and Enrique are clean now. The team needs both of you. Especially with Spencer gone."

"You just get me," Asher sighed in content, pulling her in for a kiss as they stopped in front of the staircase. "I'm this way. I'll see you after class."

"Evie!" Layla called out, walking up to the girl with a short Latina beside her. "This is Vanessa Montes. She's the new football coach's daughter. I already introduced her to Liv, so, no need to run off and tell her. Um, Evelyn's dad is—"