unacceptable behavior

✧

Evelyn leaned over the pool table, her eyebrows pinching together as she focused the cuestick on the eightball. Enrique stood across from her and let a grimace wash over his face once he realized his sister was kicking his ass. The competitiveness was clearly a shared gene between the twins.

He scoffed. "I hate you."

"And I won!" she jumped up and raised her fist in excitement. "Pay up!"

Enrique glared at her but reluctantly pulled his wallet out from his pocket and slapped down a twenty-dollar bill on the table. "What's the deal over there with Asher and his mom?"

"They're having brunch or something like that," she shrugged. "He's trying to get out of going to dinner with his mom's fiance."

"Ahh," Enrique nodded, clicking his tongue softly. "Mommy issues."

"You know it," she shrugged.

"I'll see you at home," Enrique said, checking his phone. "Abuelita wants to hang with her favorite grandkid."

"She never asks me to hang," she frowned. "I guess she really does have a favorite grandkid."

Enrique patted her shoulder and grinned. "Because she thinks you're boring."

Evelyn rolled her eyes, pushing him out of her way. "No, I'm not!"

"Evelyn!" Gwen waved her over.

Evelyn gave the woman a smile as she walked towards her and Asher. Giving her boyfriend a soft peck on the cheek and his mother a small hug before sitting down.

"I was just on my way out," Gwen informed, getting up from her seat. "But, I wanted to say hello to you and hopefully you can get my son to attend the dinner with Jacob. The invitation is extended to you as always."

"I'll try," Evelyn smiled, waving goodbye before turning to her boyfriend. "So...I see things went well between you two."

"So, well," he scoffed. "Look, I don't need another father figure in my life. I just got my dad to start acting like my dad. What's he going to think if I suddenly start hanging out with Jacob? He'll be crushed."

"Jacob's not replacing your dad," she said, reaching for his hand. "But, he's going to be in your life whether you like it or not. Your mom is marrying him. And think of how happy she'll be if you show up to the dinner. Your dad will understand, hopefully."

"Fine," Asher sighed. "But, will you come? It's at his restaurant and I'm gonna need you."

Evelyn let out a sigh, pulling him in for a kiss. "For you, Asher Adams? I will."

Their small moment of bliss suddenly interrupted as a man came through the cafe complaining about the Tamika Pratt posters that were put up. Asher seemingly wanted to step in but his girlfriend placed a hand on his arm and threw him a look telling him not to.