unexpected friendships

"So, you and Asher are having a date night at the cafe?" Simone chirped, excitedly. "What if we just combined our dates? Like a double date? How awesome would that be?"

She and Evelyn were standing by her locker as they chatted amongst themselves. Most people wouldn't be fond of befriending their ex's girlfriend but Evelyn found an unexpected friend in Simone. She was sweet, passionate, and she cared a hell of a lot about Jordan which is all Evelyn wanted for him even if he didn't feel the same way at first.

"A double date? Seriously, Simone?" she questioned. "Isn't that...weird?"

"No, way," Simone reassured her. "Jordan is Asher's best friend and you're my friend. Why can't we go on a double date? It'll be fun. Or it'll be painfully awkward. But who cares!"

"Simone Hicks, you sure do know how to grovel," she sighed, placing her hands on her hips. "Fine. I'll tell Asher. I'm sure he won't mind."

"Hey," Layla furrowed her eyebrows at the sight of the two. "I'm not walking in on a catfight. Am I?"

"Yes, you are," Evelyn said, playfully putting her fists up at Simone. "I was just about to kick her ass."

"She's kidding," Simone laughed. "Evie and I are cool."

"Oh, maybe you should hang out with us?" Layla suggested. "We're still on for tonight, right?"

Simone's face fell at her question. "Oh, that was tonight? I'm so sorry. Jordan and I planned this little date night thing. Which Evie and Asher are joining."

"Ooh, so you two really are friends?" Layla giggled. "Wow. How's Jordan doing?"

"He's not really clicking with the new coach," Simone answered. "So it's a lot of pressure."

"Yeah, Asher's not really vibing with her either," Evelyn sighed. "Enrique, too."

"I know what you guys mean," Layla added. "Spencer is definitely feeling the pressure at Crenshaw. You know, at least last year, he and Jordan had each other to talk to."

"He's never gonna admit it but he misses Spencer being around the house," Simone said.

"Wait, wait. Okay," Layla stopped the two girls from walking. "I have a bad idea."

"That's never good," Evelyn sighed.

"Shut up," she scoffed. "What if your double date became a triple date. Asher would be a great buffer in between Jordan and Spencer. He's been quite the peacemaker lately."

Simone squinted her eyes. "Jordan would never do that."

"Right that's where the bad idea comes in," Layla said. "We don't tell them."

"So, am I allowed to tell Asher?" Evelyn asked. "He won't care."

"Uh..." Simone trailed off.

Layla shook her head. "No."

"Oh, my boyfriend's gonna hate me," Evelyn mumbled.

☆☆☆

"Simone?"

Asher walked into the cafe spotting his girlfriend and Simone sitting right next to each other. Evelyn had insisted on him meeting her there due to the fact that she simply couldn't lie to him if they planned on meeting up first.

"Surprise," Evelyn waved her hands around. "We're here for a double date with Simone and Jordan."

"Evelyn..." Asher sighed, sitting beside her.

"What if I made it up to you tonight?" she winked running her hand up to his chest. "You know, do that thing you like with my—"

Simone let out a cough. "I'm still here, Evie."