secret affairs

✧

Because Evelyn and Enrique hadn't been talking to each other, she opted out of all things involving football. Including the combine, so while Asher was off with the boys doing whatever it was that he was doing. She spent her free time catching up with Destiny, who she had been accidentally abandoning. However, after the combine, Asher insisted on picking her up and taking her out on a date considering the fact, the two hadn't been on one in a while.

He had heard there was a carnival in town and he wanted to go but there was clearly a bunch of stuff on their minds as they strolled through the carnival. Asher had wanted to be a good boyfriend and be attentive to his girlfriend's needs but the words he had thrown at JJ earlier had been weighing heavy on his mind.

While Evelyn couldn't help but think about her brother. Enrique had been actively avoiding her which was extremely hard considering the fact, they had a bunch of shared classes and they were literal twins. But, her anger had trumped her curiosity and she tried her best not to think about him.

Asher shoved the plate containing a funnel cake under his girlfriend's nose, wiggling his eyebrows playfully at her. "A lot of coaches were interested in him today."

"I don't give a shit," she spat, stabbing her fork angrily into the funnel cake. "He's going to Texas."

"Okay, I just spent $18 on that. Please, take your anger out on something else," he scoffed. "And come on, you two are being ridiculous. Ricky never committed to that school in Texas. He lied to you, Evelyn, he just said all of that to piss you off."

She frowned, placing her elbows on the tables, and stared at him intently. "Really?"

"Yeah, babe," he confirmed. "Your brother's an asshole. He wanted to find a way to hurt you and he did that."

"That's for damn sure," she mumbled, stealing the lemonade he had bought for himself and taking a sip from it. "Now, what's on your mind? Is it still JJ because you've got to stop beating yourself up, Ash."

"I can't believe I said that to him," Asher sighed, gripping her hand and brushing his fingers against her knuckles softly. "I was such an ass."

"Yeah, you were," she agreed.

"You know I thought I was...I thought I was past losing football," he confessed. "But hearing JJ land my scholarship at my dream school—"

"Was soul-crushing?" she suggested. "Yeah, that's normal. It made losing football feel even more permanent. Coastal has been your dream since you were a kid and it's okay to feel hurt and upset after hearing he landed a scholarship there."

"Now it's JJ's time, and I should be there for him," he continued on, dropping his head down low.

"No, you have been there for him since...forever," she sighed. "You just had a moment, babe. And that is completely normal."