Chapter 6

As the students piled in from the cluster they had made at the door upon the ring of the bell, I smiled, excited to see what progress they had made.

"Alright everyone, settle in, phones in your backpack, notebooks out, and a pencil ready to use. You know the drill." I said lightly, heading to my desk where I myself had to settle in. After the needed few minutes of socializing, I clapped my hands for their attention.

"Alright, so yesterday we left off with Chapter 1 and 2. Anyone want to summarize?" I smiled at the amount of hands that shot up. "Hannah? Why don't you give it a shot?"

The petite Asian girl giggled and proceeded to explain what had happened, with the animals gathering around and to the death of one of them. And to take it a step ahead, she even discussed how each character fit into people and events leading to the Russian Revolution.

"Outstanding! Everyone turn to the next empty page and write down the characters you already know. And if you were paying attention to Miss Hannah here, you would know which characters represented actual people." I raised my eyebrows, and went back down to sit at my laptop.

Looking up, I saw one of the boys call my name, " Ms. Menning?"

"Yes Cillian?"

"Can you turn down the AC, it's really cold in here." He gave me a grimace and I realized he was right. I let out a little shiver and looked at him with an apologetic face, "I'm really sorry, but that's out of my control."

Interesting how only after someone pointed it out, did I start to feel cold. Grabbing George's, well, my hoodie, I slipped it on and signed into the comfort.

That was a mistake.

"Holy shit, is Ms. Menning wearing GeorgeNotFound merch?" I heard an exclaim from the back of the classroom. Widening my eyes, I looked to see who had said that, but soon everyone was murmuring, school work neglected.

"Ms. Menning?"

"Yes sweetheart?"

"Do you watch GeorgeNotFound?" Anjali gaped, pointing at my hoodie. I looked down and realized what had caused the outburst.

"This little thing?" I contemplated what to say. Of course I couldn't say that I knew George, they wouldn't believe me. "My nephew gave me this. Why? Is he popular?"

"Only one of the most popular Minecraft streamers!" A guy in the back shouted. I saw a couple people roll their eyes and a person who whispered, "Yeah well Dream is better."

"Dream fucking cheated!"

"Language," I glared at them and they immediately shut up but not before one of them whispered BadBoyHalo. Beyond confused as to what any of them were talking about, I took off the hoodie in my next class, not wanting the same distraction I had provided for my 3rd hour.

That night, I considered leaving the jacket behind. Then I thought, George always brought the windbreaker, so why should I not return that favor? There were no kids to gawk at me in the night.

Except for George, he was a child I suppose.

I got there before him, but it felt weird, those moments alone. I would never get bored by myself, hell I enjoyed it. But when this British man joined me, the lack of his presence was unnerving.

After an agonizing 10 minutes, I saw that black Mercedes skid to a stop behind me. I turned back and actually moved from my spot to greet him. I walked over to the area where beach sand met gravel leading to the road. George got out and shoved his hands in his pockets, as he does, but his frown disappeared when he saw me.