Chapter 10

I was wearing a blue sundress with an identical shade headband that was pushing back the small black strands that concealed my face at times. Did I look like an Old Navy Model? Perhaps, but they were called models for a reason after all. I thought I looked nice. Blue tends to look good with darker skin.

I sat in my car, my knees bouncing up rapidly in anticipation. That black Mercedes, where was it? I checked my watch for the umpteenth time, but it was only 12:22. Damn it.

A torturous two minutes later, the corner of my eye caught movement at the side. Turning around to try and find the person, I ended up with my face four inches away from George's. I pressed him on the nose and pushed him back by a couple inches.

"Hello there George." I had a smile tugging at the side of my mouth.

"You look nice Miss Marlowe." He started but then added on, "If you were going to go to the mall. We're going to a place where our fingers are supposed to be messier than our plates. I don't think a dress is suitable for a place where there's more barbeque sauce than water."

I looked him up and down to see him wearing a white dress shirt and pants. "Excuse me, but I don't think you should be talking."

"But I'm British. Just be glad I don't have tea bags in my pocket."

"You know, my favorite people are those who accept that they're made fun of." I smiled, fixing his ruffled collar.

"That's the only reason I'm your favorite?" He gave a fake pout, leaning his face into mine. I rolled my eyes, "it's the only one that's valid."

"So you do like me for another reason then?" He asked, holding out the door to the restaurant for me. I stepped inside and gave him a smirk.

"Yes. I do like your manners quite a lot."

"Oh shut up." He followed me behind and snaked a hand through mine, my eyebrows tilting upwards at the gesture. But I didn't pull away and went to the front. The woman in front of me had shaved hair on one side and bleach white on the other, wearing a button up and an apron. She had thin wire rimmed round glasses and what I think was a septum. I thought she was very pretty.

"Hello ma'am. Sir." She nodded to both of us respectively while dusting off her messy apron. It was a hopeless case, it was far too painted with food for a brushing off to help.

"Hi! A table for two please?" I asked, smiling at her. She offered one back and said, "Alrighty, follow me here."

She led us to a booth in the back of the diner with a bunch of cheesy romantic quotes and occasional beach pictures with American flags. She winked and gave us our menus. "Hi, I'm Lara and I'll be your waiter for today>"

"Oh I'm sorry, could I have a kids menu please? This man is a child and I think he would like-"

"Marlowe!" his face went red and he widened his eyes.

"Okay, okay, I was kidding." I looked at the waitress and winked. She winked back but set the two menus down. "I'll be back, any drinks I can get started for you?"

'Water, no ice, please."

"Could I have a lemonade?" George asked.

I looked at Lara and giggled, "See? Child."

"OH MY GOD, when is Lemonade a children's drink?" He argued.

Lara raised her eyebrows, "At least he didn't ask for the Oreo Milkshake."

"You guys have that?" The British man asked eagerly but then faltered when he saw Lara and I holding in laughter. "That didn't help my case, did it?"