Prologue.

It was quite a gloomy day when Aaliyah heard the awful news, she had been reading a short novel that fascinated her but her ears elevated at the sound of the news she had heard. A few students had been sitting next to her while they gossiped about everything and anything until one of them lowered their voice to speak of something that tickled Aaliyah's fancy. She carefully listened to the students and stood up the minute she heard the full story, she didn't believe a word they had said because it didn't make sense. We are living in a new world, things like that barely occur but here she was listening to these lies all because her ears had no lid. She wished her ears had lids, in that way she would live a peaceful life without such moments.

Chuckling, she walked out of the cafeteria and headed for her small flat. She loved the solitude she would receive from being alone but the flat could get a little bit dreadful from time to time and that was because she hadn't done anything to make it feel like home, it was exactly the way it was when she found it. The walls were still painted in a dull shade of white and the brown painted furniture was slowly peeling off which made it look rusty but Aaliyah was content with her life although she didn't want it to be better than her sibling's life. A selfless girl even when it isn't necessary. As soon as she entered her flat, she was welcomed by a dreadful smell of paint as her neighbour, Miss Rain, was repainting for the millionth time. Miss Rain was quite a lovely young woman who changed her entire personality depending on who she was dating, Aaliyah found that incredibly stupid but she didn't understand a thing about love so she tolerated her neighbour and would grin whenever she saw her.

She hurried for her small red television which she got for quite a hefty price at a pawn shop and switched it on. She had always wanted a small red television so she paid the amount that was needed for it but soon found out she would have gotten it for eighty percent less on line. She was angry with herself for being so stupid but soon realised that she was an old fashioned girl and it was worth it. The television was the only thing that she changed when she moved in.

"Breaking news! There has been an outbreak of a virus known as the Corona virus and people are truly scared but we are here to ease your worries as we will be in communication with our health minister..." Aaliyah heard as the television spoke and immediately her heart sank to her toes. So it wasn't just a silly rumour? She thought. She sat down and watched the news for the entire day, ensuring that she took every information in while she would google some things for reference.

"We have had a few cases but it seems like it is worsening as we have already lost twenty patients in its second day here" the man on the telly said "We might even need to close the country if this continues" another man said.

Aaliyah heard the last part perfectly, if the country closes she wouldn't be able to see her family which she is ought to see in only a month. If the country closes then she wouldn't be able to see her family, which would be the most dreadful thing because she hadn't seen them for more than five months. School was too hectic and travelling was expensive so she didn't want to bother them instead she sent money every month, with the hopes that they understood her situation.

As fate has it Miss Jones, her sponsor, called while her eyes were glued on the telly. She picked up her Samsung and placed it on her ear.

"Hello dearie" Miss Jones said happily.

"Oh hello Miss Jones" Aaliyah smiled at the sound of the old lady, she loved how shaky her voice was and how happy she always is.

"How are you dear?" she asked and Aaliyah realised that no one had asked her that question in a long time and that was because she was a lone girl with a single friend who loved to party. She would see her lovely friend during university hours or when she needed a huge favor but there was no doubt in her mind that her friend appreciated her.

"I am well and how are you?" Aaliyah smiled

"I am not too well, I have this high fever which I cannot reduce but my doctor has been helpful" Miss Jones said "I do hope it is not the virus that has been going around" she finished.

"What did your doctor say?" Aaliyah asked worriedly, she was fond of the old lady and she wanted nothing bad to happen to her.

"She said I had a minor flu but I have to stay at home and rest" and with that Aaliyah let out a sigh of relief although she was still worried about her old friend.

"That's better at least we can heal it" Aaliyah said.

"I am sure" Miss jones said "Oh, the reason for this phone call was to tell you that I have booked your plane ticket back home, it was hard as everyone is travelling back home due to the virus but I made it happen" she said joyfully.

"You didn't have to do that Miss" Aaliyah exhaled

"Oh no, I had to. I don't want you to be stuck there with no one while the world burns to the ground" Miss Jones said dramatically.

"Well thank you Miss Jones" Aaliyah gave in.

"It is only my pleasure and because it is essential to quarantine, I have found you a space in the airport hotel, The Lakes, so don't worry about anything" Miss Jones said as she coughed.

"Are you alright?" Aaliyah asked worriedly, she hated how she couldn't reach out to Miss Jones and actually help her as she was alone. A loner like Aaliyah and sometimes Aaliyah worried that she would end up like Miss Jones, an old, smart black woman who helps those in need. No husband, no birth children and no worries. It was a perfect life according to Aaliyah but everyone around her would dreadfully stare at her whenever she said she wanted to be like Miss Jones, even Miss Jones had scolded her for wanting a life like hers.

"I will live. Now please pack and don't be late, if you are you will never return as that was the last plane out" Miss Jones warned although she knew the girl would never be late "I will send you everything else via email" she finished and abruptly hung up the phone.

Aaliyah jumped up and down as she was excited to finally see her family. She thanked god for such a huge favour and walked to her bedroom to pack. She is finally going home.