the day it began || chapter 1

Y/N's POV

The sounds of clapping. The sound of the host, Jimmy Fallon, introducing me onto the stage. The same line, every single time I'm interviewed on national television.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I am pleased to announce," Jimmy's voice ran throughout the studio, "An accomplished author who wrote the astonishing book The Virus, Y/N L/N!"

The clapping became louder as I walked onto the stage. The sounds of clapping and cheering were so loud I couldn't even hear the simple click-clack of my high-heeled boots. I sat down on the signature grey couch. I felt so honored. All of the accomplished people of today sat on this couch. And now, it was my turn.

Don't mess it up. Don't mess it up.

"Hey, there Y/N/N (your nickname). Is it okay if I call you that?" Jimmy asked, his signature comedian smile showing.

"All my friends call me that," I said, smiling. I was obviously well aware of the 'ooh's coming from the audience. Please follow the damn script I made in my head, Jimmy.

"So, am I your friend?" Jimmy asked, his smile faltering a little. He was a good actor.

"I don't know. Are you?" I asked, playfully squinting and smirking at the host. Jimmy followed pursuit and made the same face. This is going well.

"I'm going to take that as a yes, Y/N/N," Jimmy said leaning back into his chair and taking a sip of coffee out of his mug. "Now that we've sorted out formalities, tell me, what's it like being one of the most accomplished authors out there?" Jimmy asked with a sparkle in his eye.

"Well, it was quite overwhelming at first. But you just get used to it. And I feel very satisfied with myself. Uhm, I think I'm making my ten-year-old self proud. She's always wanted to be an author," I whispered the last bit, but loud enough for everyone to hear, as though it was a secret.

The interview went by in a blur and before I knew it Jimmy Fallon was closing off, with me in the corner smiling my Colgate white smile and waving goodbye, blowing air kisses to the screen. In the end, I thanked Jimmy and headed towards my car, my chauffeur ready to leave. Journalists and paparazzi nearly drowned me with their overwhelming presence, but thankfully my bodyguard, Harold, covered for me.

I sighed as I climbed into the back seat of my car and relaxed. I lied to Jimmy and to the rest of the world. You'll never get used to this. My phone rang and I saw the caller. It was Y/B/F (your best friend). I answered it happily.

"Hey, Ms. Accomplised Author," Y/B/F teased on the other side of the phone. I let out an exasperated sigh.

"Shut up," I snapped back jokingly.

"Yeah, yeah. You free tonight?" I sighed sadly, remembering how I should really get started on the sequel of my book before everyone gets bored. "Oh no, I know that sigh."

"I have to start working on my sequel, and-"

"Nope," Y/B/F said, cutting me off, "I'm coming over to yours and we're watching this show. Atypical you heard of it?"

"No. You know I don't do shows or movies," I replied, rolling my eyes and looked out of the window. I saw we were pulling into my driveway.

"Yeah, right. Well, when I come over, which will probably be in the next half hour, we're watching it," Y/B/F said, with no room to debate.

"Okay, fine. See you," I said as I stepped into my house.

Some company was needed anyways, this mansion can get really lonely. I walked up to my room and changed into a t-shirt and some flannel pants and fell backward onto my bed. I was bored so I looked Atypical up. It was famous. So many people gave rave reviews about it. I looked up the cast of the show, and someone caught my eye.

Brigette Lundy-Paine.

Brigette POV

"Cut! That's a wrap. Good job today everyone," the director yelled. I sighed in relief. I headed back towards the exit, yawning and stretching. How badly I wanted to sleep, but I couldn't. I needed to learn my freaking script.

"Hey, Brig, good work today," Fivel said, suddenly appearing next to me.

"Thanks, you too," I said smiling. I sighed in exhaustion and Fivel looked at me. Concern drowned her face.

"What's up?" She asked, her perfectly plucked eyebrow quirked up in a questioning glance.

"What's not up is the real question," I said. Of course, Fivel was not going to let me off there. "I need something other than a drink or a new Netflix show to distract myself with. This script is exhausting."

"Hey, I have something in mind. Follow me," Fivel said, as she walked towards the direction of her trailer. I followed easily, my long-ass legs giving me some advantage. In the end, I made it to Fivel's trailer before her. Fivel caught up, gasping for air.

"You and-" another gasp of air, "-your long-ass legs," I chuckled, and eventually, she stood straight after a second or two and opened her trailer. "Stay here, I'm heading out soon and it's gonna be too cramped with you here."

I rolled my eyes and leaned against the trailer. I greeted Nik and Keir as they walked by. I wanted to join them, but I was reminded by Fivel's frustrated grunts, that I was waiting for something.

"Here we go!" Fivel exclaimed, holding out a book for me. I took it, slightly confused. "It's really good, I think you'll like it." Fivel smiled as she turned to lock her trailer.

"People still read books?" I questioned jokingly. Fivel rolled her eyes and walked off to the street, taking her phone out to call an Uber.

"You said you needed something to distract yourself," Fivel said matter-of-factly. I sighed a long deep sigh. "If you want to rot away, fine by me. Give the book back."

"No," I said, suddenly becoming defensive, "I'll check it out I guess," Fivel smirked in triumph. Soon, her Uber came by to pick her up.

"You want a ride?" Fivel asked.

"Nah, thanks. I'm gonna grab something to eat at the diner before I head home," I informed her. Fivel nodded in approval and climbed into her car.

The walk to the diner wasn't far. No fans followed me, which was a bonus because I was hungry and fans add another ten minutes to a five-minute walk. I made it into the diner and sunk into one of the red worn-out leather couches. I sighed with satisfaction.

"Hey, Brig, what can I get for you today," the manager, Derek, asked. He always takes my order nowadays, especially after one of his staff basically attacked me because I didn't want to take a picture with her.

"Hey, D, can I get a serving of curly fries to start with and a chocolate milkshake?" I asked. Even though I'm famous, I still make a deal with myself to treat people with basic human respect. So what? Most people know me because I'm on TV? Big deal.

"Of course, that's all?" Derek asked.

"Also don't go all skimpy on me with the whipped cream," I said playfully.

"Never," Derek responded before turning and going to the kitchens to place my order. I looked at the book Fivel gave me and saw that the book was called The Virus. The author's name was pretty, I'll have to admit.

I took out my phone and searched her up. Then I saw her. Her name was almost as pretty as she was. Suddenly, I was determined to read this book.

I think I'm going to enjoy this, Y/N L/N.