Part 2: Chapter 22

JISOO POV

"Unnie, you remember my friend, Taehyung, right?"

I was on the phone with Jennie when she asked me that. She was in London with Jae and she tells me things have been nice but her call and her tone let me know something went wrong.

"Taehyung?" I asked and rummaged my mind for his image. "Ah, the son of your father's business partner who probably has a crush on you? I kind of remember him. Why?"

"Woah, hold on. What do you mean he probably has a crush on me? Who told you that?" she asked.

"Jennie, come on. He's the guy you would've dated in the past but didn't there was 'no mutual interest.'"

"Yeah, it's true."

"You're telling me he has no type of feelings towards you? Weren't you good friends before? Boys are easily swayed, you know?"

Jennie groaned over the phone, "Ugh, ok whatever. My point is, do you think I could my engagement to Taehyung would any type of effects on Jae? If Jae finds out I'm going to marry Taehyung, maybe it'll help me understand how Jae really feels about me."

I rolled my eyes are her childishness. "Can't you just ask him directly? What's the point of creating all this useless drama? What if Taehyung falls in love with you and fights Jae over you? Wow, I should be a writer and stare in the drama myself."

"Unnie, stop with the Taehyung jokes! He's not going to fall in love with me because he doesn't have feelings for me. No, I know it sounds dumb but it could work right? You know Jae the most so what do you think? How do you think he'd react?"

I thought for a second, imagining the scenario in my head before replying. "Well, he'll definitely be jealous. For one, your parents seem to like Taehyung so it's not like anything could get in the way your engagement to him. But if Jae thinks you love Taehyung then he'll probably back off. Unless Jae doesn't think you love Taehyung then he'll... I don't know, he'll probably just try to date you. Either way, it's stupid to play around with peoples feelings and everyone could end up getting hurt in the end."

"Hmm... Okay. But since Taehyung agreed to help me out by faking an engagement and I don't love him, the only who who would get hurt is Celine. I still can't believe she wouldn't break up with Jae. What a hog," she replied.

I bit my lip in annoyance, seeing how badly she missed the point.

"Jennie, that's..." I was about to explain to her again but another call interrupted. It was my mother. Ugh, you know, she calls me way too much... "I'm getting call, Jennie. Let's talk again later, okay? Don't make any decisions without me."

I hung up shortly after our goodbyes and picked up my mother's call. She spoke as soon as the line connected.

"Where should we hold the engagement party? Here at home or shall we rent a venue?"

"Engagement party? What engagement party?"

"You know what, dear, a venue sounds better. Did you hear that? Get to searching. Plan for late April."

"Huh?"

"Jisoo, honey, have you been sleeping well in Paris?" she asked, finally paying attention to me.

"Um, yeah? Sure. Why did you call, mother? What's this engagement party you're talking about?"

"Well, of course your brother's engagement party."

"What do you mean?"

"Jae and Jihyo. Love at first sight—how's that for the motto? Ha, I just love it! Write that down."

"Are you talking to me?"

"Hold on, dear."

"Wait!" I said but she put me on hold. I sighed from frustration and confusion on what the hell was going on. Why was she so frantic and hectic today?

"When are you coming back to Seoul? I suggest it's before April," my mother said.

I opened my mouth to speak but someone else spoke first saying, "I don't plan on coming back any time before that, mother. I'm perfectly fine in Paris."

"Jae?" I asked.

"Jisoo...?" he asked back.

"Your engagement party's in April and the both of you have to be back by then," she stated.

There was silence as I waited for Jae's response but he was quiet. Then he said, "Jisoo's engaged?"

I sighed from the amount of idiots I had to deal with today, "No, dumbass. She's talking about your engagement."

"Jisoo, don't refer to your brother like that," my mother scolded. "Anywho, the party will be huge. Both sides of the family are invited and I'm working out the seating arrangements right now. All you two have to do is show up at least a week before the date to look pretty for the cameras."

"Wait, you're really letting me marry her?" Jae asked. I thought he knew he had to.

"Are we really sure this is a good idea?" I said. "I mean, what's the point of lying? Can't people just tell the truth and move on? There doesn't have to be an engagement at all."

I know I said that over the phone so it sounded like I was talking about Jae and Jihyo but I was really trying to vent about Jennie and Taehyung. Maybe these guys can relate to what I had to say.

"I mean, the two of them don't even love each other," I continued. "Don't you want what's best for either parties? And besides, it's a waste of time and money."

"Nothing is a waste if it means my son gets to raise his head in Seoul again," she said almost patriotically. "This isn't up for negotiations, Jisoo. I've talked to her parents about it and we seemed to be on the same page."

"Wait, when did you talk to her parents about it? I had lunch with them last Saturday in Paris but they didn't mention anything," Jae said.

"Dear, what are you talking about?"

"What are you talking about, mother?"

"I'm talking about your engagement to Jihyo."

"My engagement to... Ohhh. We weren't talking about Celine?"

"Pft, Celine? Didn't I tell you she's a waste of time? Forget about her, Jae. Jihyo will make a much better wife."

"Jihyo and I are just friends. How many times do I have to tell you?" Jae said. I heard the bit of anger behind his voice and I already knew an argument was bound to happen right now. My mother was stubborn so she won't back down about something like this, especially since she's obsessed over it since the beginning of time.

"Jae, do you really think marrying some French girl will solve all your problems? This is the real world. Nobody marries for love anymore," she responded. Hopefully the real world didn't include me...

"I'm not going to propose to Jihyo."

"You don't have to. As long as there's a ring, there's a proposal."

"If this was how you planned on getting me to come back to Seoul, for some stupid engagement, then don't even expect me to pick up your calls anymore."

At that, Jae hung up, leaving my mother to call his name pointlessly. All of a sudden, there was sniffling over the phone. Was she... crying?

"Mom...? Are you okay?" I asked slowly.

"Yes, dear... I just... I wish he would come back to Seoul."

__________
28 Feb 2022 update

Hi again :)