chapter 8 -- time to cause trouble

✔️ Rewritten & Edited

Optimus nervously clutched his blaster tightly in his servos, a digit on the trigger preemptively. He had only shot a blaster when he trained with Alpha Trion at a shooting range, not at living Cybertronians. He knew the Decepticons were vile, but... they were still Cybertronian. He shook his helm, hard, to drive the thought away. He needs to focus on the mission. If his team was too late or too early, the whole mission could fail.

That was just hyperbole. Optimus thought to calm his nerves.

He finally looked up from the ground, scanning his surroundings. The team (plus Sunstreaker and Blaze) were right outside of Kaon, crouched behind a pile of rusted scrap-metal, not being even a yard away. The Decepticon's base stood tall, towering over the Autobots as if they were mere insects. It was in the very center of the city-state, meaning that the two younglings and Extraction team would have to be careful on their way in. They could get caught by a patrol if they weren't careful, as they were almost everywhere in the city. Optimus was crouched behind Ultra Magnus, while Warpath sat next to him, back against the pile of scrap, and Hound on the commander's other side, peeking around the pile. Sideswipe sat behind everyone, speaking with Sunstreaker and Blaze. Optimus looked back at them, his gaze on the three younglings before looking towards Iacon. The electric barrier surrounding the city-state wasn't even visible, showing how far away they truly were. He hoped that Jetfire and Skydancer were ready to swoop down and help them at a moment's notice. They would need it, no doubt.

Guardian's team was on the other side of the city, from what he overheard. They last reported in when they had infiltrated an empty building and got in position. They were in the perfect spot — hidden from Decepticon patrols, but still able to snipe anyone close enough — though Zeta was against the idea. They still went in, anyway. Optimus could hear Sideswipe whispering to the other two younglings, though not exactly calming their nerves.

"Sideswipe, we'll be fine." Blaze hissed, "Quit scaring us!"

"I'm not trying to. I'm just worried for you!" Sideswipe defended.

"Then stop worrying!" Sunstreaker said, giving a laugh, "We'll be fine, Sides. Trust me!"

The red and black Autobot wasn't immediately convinced, but he eventually gave up, sighing.

"Sorry, Streaks." He mumbled, "These are 'Cons we're talking about. Be careful, alright?"

The yellow and black Cybertronian nodded, smiling at his twin. He and Sideswipe hugged each other warmly, Blaze soon being pulled into the embrace. Optimus turned to glance at the three younglings, smiling from under his battlemask. He turned back around, face going back to its resting expression, and looked out at the sky for Decepticon Seekers.

"Sunstreaker, Blaze," Arrow spoke through the comm-link, "time to cause trouble."

"Roger that, A!" Sunstreaker whisper-shouted, standing with the silver Autobot, "Enacting the operation!"

The two younglings finally ran out from the cover of the scrap pile to the entrance of Kaon, weapons safely tucked away in a scenario where they'd have to use them. Optimus hoped not. Sideswipe crouch-walked forward until he was next to the red and blue Autobot, peeking around the side with Hound.

"You three are close." He stated, though it almost came out as a question.

Sideswipe looked up at him, slightly confused, then sighed.

"Yeah." He shrugged, "Why does it matter, now?"

"Honestly, I'm just trying to get my processor off of what could go wrong." Optimus said.

The red and black Cybertronian looked back out at the land, seeing his twin's pede disappear only a nano-cycle later behind the city's protective wall. He bowed his helm, nodding to the larger's sentiment. He looked back up at the view, like Sunstreaker and Blaze would come back now. They didn't, of course.

"Please, Blaze, Sunny, be okay." He whispered solemnly.