chapter 26 -- reoccurring

✔️ Edited!

Optimus and Elita were within Elita's personal cabin. They rested on her berth – Optimus leaning against the back wall, while Elita sat in the space between his legs, leaning against his body. He had his arms wrapped around her, resting his chin on the top of her helm. They were just spending time together, as they haven't been able to have a moment to themselves for quite a while. It was now dark outside, indicating that it had been breems since the mission to the Crystal City outpost.

Optimus onlined his optics, sighing through his olfactory unit. He was thinking about how his mentor was faring. Last he had heard, he was going into hiding, but he didn't know where.

He turned his helm to look at the berth-side table to distract himself. He could barely see the picture, but he knew that he was part of it. Well, Orion was. His armor was the darkest among the others, but his faceplates and helm had been corroded out of the image. A servo rested against his cheekplate, and he looked down at Elita. She was looking up at him, a worried look on her faceplates.

"Is something wrong?" She asked.

Optimus didn't know how to answer, so he just smiled. He leaned down and placed a kiss on the top of the Autobot commander's helm. She huffed humorously, her frown turning into a smile.

"I was just thinking about my mentor." He said.

"So, something is wrong." She assumed.

Optimus sighed, smile fading, and he nodded.

"I'm worried about him." The larger Autobot admitted, "I know he's probably fine, but I keep thinking about Megatron's threat."

"Yeah, I've been thinking about that, too." Elita said, "I don't think Megatron will try anything huge just yet. For now, Alpha Trion is one-hundred percent safe."

Optimus nodded, and they fell silent. The red and blue Autobot rested his chin on his lover's helm again, shuddering his optics to rest. He heard the smaller Autobot chuckle softly, fidgeting with his digits.

"Tired?" She asked.

"Mm-hmm." Optimus hummed.

"You can stay here tonight, if you want." Elita offered, "I'll be leaving in the middle of the night, though. Patrol and stuff."

The larger Autobot nodded in understanding. With the reassurance that he didn't have to drag himself to his cabin, he allowed his body to relax.

"I think I'm gonna..." he interrupted himself with a yawn, "recharge."

"Go ahead." Elita said, "I'll be up for a bit longer."

Optimus nodded. He opened his arms, allowing the smaller Autobot to stand up from the berth and walk to her desk. The red and blue Autobot laid down on the berth, scooting over to the edge so that his lover had room to rest when she was ready to rest, and shuddered his optics. It didn't take long for him to fall into recharge, and the noises of the world faded away.

===== ===== ===== ===== ===== =====

Optimus couldn't see anything. He was just in an inky black void. He could hear yelling – anger-filled yelling that sounded familiar.

"Get away from him!"

There was silence. Then, a loud scream pierced the air, grating on Optimus's audio receptors. A loud crack and snap followed the screams, but they continued for a few moments longer, now crackled.

"Orion!" The familiar voice yelled again.

Optimus could start to see the blurry image of the ground, alongside an object. He could see drops of lubricant falling to the ground, and hear the static noises being emitted from his own voicebox. Finally, the image of the ground was clear, but he wished it wasn't. Right below him, Energon dotting it, was his own jaw. Optimus looked up, seeing a white Seeker being pinned to the ground, light teal optics wide and tears starting to spill over.