chapter 29 -- battle for Polyhex

✔️ Edited!

Once the Autobots had neared the city, they attacked. Sending swift shots from blasters to the backs of the Decepticons, they managed to take down enough of them to even out the odds, only a little.

Optimus dodged numerous blaster-shots from the Decepticons, then ducking to avoid a swinging fist. He jumped back up quickly, and punched the Decepticon in the tanks. They groaned in pain, but quickly recovered to continue the fight. However, it didn't take long for the Decepticon to fall from a shot to the chassis. Optimus pushed the drone away from him, then continued raining blaster-fire on others from afar. He (stupidly) didn't bring a melee weapon.

The red and blue Cybertronian heard something behind him, but as soon as he turned to look, he was punched in the faceplates. He tumbled to the ground with a cry, blaster falling out of his servo. He heard a weapon cock in front of him. He looked up at the Decepticon, but only a moment later, someone landed behind them and stabbed the Decepticon through their Spark chamber. The blade, glowing blue, was retracted from the Cybertronian's body, their body pushed over as their optics darkened. Now standing before Optimus was Jetfire, reaching a servo out to help his friend up. The red and blue Cybertronian took it, and was pulled up from the ground.

"Thanks for the assist, Jetfire." The shorter said, grabbing his blaster from the ground.

Jetfire nodded, then stated, "We need to go. Prowl informed me that he's in position."

Optimus nodded. He looked at the city, the barrier still blocking the Decepticons from entering.

"How will we reach him?" He asked.

"Uh, you'll regret asking that." The Autobot Seeker said.

"Why?" Optimus asked, looking back at his friend, concerned.

"I'm gonna take a running start and transform. You'll have to jump up and grab on." The taller explained.

The red and blue Cybertronian nodded in understanding. Jetfire took a few steps back, then waited a moment. He ran forward and transformed. Optimus jumped up right as the Seeker flew overhead, grabbing onto his wings. The flier groaned at the added weight, but didn't say anything regarding it. He managed to fly above the Polyhexian barrier, avoiding shots from the ground and the air. A stray shot hit the Seeker's wing, and he grunted in pain. Optimus looked up, optics wide upon seeing the smoking wound.

"Brace for impact!" Jetfire exclaimed.

The two Autobots fell from the sky. Optimus let go before they crashed, rolling over his shoulder-pad and landing so that he kneeled. He looked up and looked around for Jetfire.

"By Primus! Are you okay?" A voice asked.

The Autobot looked up, seeing a Cybertronian approach him. They were gray with some white marks on them, and looked at Optimus through worried cyan optics. Optimus nodded to them, standing up.

Where's Jetfire? He thought.

The red and blue Cybertronian looked around for his friend. He spotted smoke billowing up from the ground, and a tall figure limping out of it. The figure exited the smoke, holding an arm and limping.

"Jetfire!" He exclaimed.

He ran towards his friend, the other Cybertronian deciding to run back to their position. Optimus reached the flier, who looked up at him.

"Optimus, are you okay?" Jetfire asked.

"I'm fine." Optimus said, "We need to get you medical attention."

He turned to find a medic, but the Autobot Seeker touched his shoulder-pad. He looked back at his friend.

"We have to complete the mission." Jetfire said, voice strained, "I'll be fine."

Optimus knew he wouldn't be able to convince his friend. He looked at the taller Autobot's left wing, seeing the smoldering black marking from the blaster-shot. He looked back up at the Seeker's faceplates, nodding reluctantly. There was the sound of jet engines approaching from above, and the two Autobots looked at the sky. A group of three Decepticon Seekers flew overhead, firing down upon the Polyhexians. The Autobots quickly took cover before the Seekers shot them. The Decepticons ceased their firing, swooped back into the sky.

Only a moment later, there was a series of three pops from nearby. Optimus looked, seeing smoke curling out of three separate locations by the barrier. Then, the barrier fell. The Decepticons began charging the Polyhexians, the Autobots fighting them still.

"Protect the city!" A tall white Cybertronian yelled, pointing their axe at the enemy.

The Cybertronians yelled, meeting the Decepticons head-on. Optimus looked back at Jetfire, who looked down at him. They nodded to each other, then turned and ran away. The two quickly started their way towards their destination. The red and blue Cybertronian looked back at the flier periodically to be sure that he wasn't falling far behind. He turned a corner and saw a white Cybertronian and a tall purple Cybertronian waiting by a building, blasters drawn. Jetfire looked as well.

"That's Prowl." He muttered to his friend.

"Who's the other one?" Optimus asked.

The flier groaned, "Knight Maximus. The Leadership's advisor."

"Well, let's go." The shorter Autobot said.

The two Autobots walked out of hiding, blasters at their sides. Prowl and Knight Maximus looked at them and raised their blasters at them, glaring.

"State your designation!" The white Cybertronian yelled.

"I'm Optimus." The red and blue Cybertronian said, raising his arms, "This is Jetfire. Zeta Prime sent us."

The two looked at each other, then cautiously lowered their blasters.

"Took you long enough." The tall purple Cybertronian said.

"Jetfire crashed, so it took us a bit longer." Optimus explained.

Knight Maximus looked at the flier, then down at Prowl. The Polyhexian guard cocked his blaster while looking at the two Autobots.

"Alpha Trion isn't far from here." He said.

"We need to hurry. The barrier has fallen, and the Decepticons have entered the city." Jetfire said.

"Well, let's go, then!" The purple Cybertronian said.

The four Cybertronians started running in the direction where Alpha Trion was hiding. Optimus looked back at his friend, seeing that he was struggling to keep up. He knew he couldn't do anything to help, so he looked ahead again and continued following the two other Cybertronians. They reached a tall building that wasn't remarkable in any way.

"Alpha Trion is inside." Prowl said, "Go up to the twelfth floor and to the last room."

"Thank you." Optimus said.

"Don't mention it." Knight Maximus said.

Before any more words could be exchanged, blaster fire rained down upon the four Cybertronians. They dove out of the way before they could get hit, grunting. Jet engines hummed overhead, and three Decepticon Seekers zoomed past.

"Damnit, Starscream!" Jetfire hissed.

The Cybertronians stood back up, watching the Seekers circle back towards them.

"Go!" Prowl yelled to the Autobots, "We'll cover you!"

Prowl and Knight Maximus started firing at the Seekers, who merely dodged and weaved through the blaster-fire. Optimus and Jetfire ran into the building, the door closing behind them. The red and blue Cybertronian looked back, hearing the faint noise of blaster-fire outside. He worried about Prowl and Knight Maximus.

"Optimus," Jetfire said, the shorter Autobot looking at him, "we have to go. Now that those Seekers know Alpha Trion is here, it'll be a matter of time until Megatron arrives."

Optimus hesitated for a moment, then nodded.

"Yeah. We need to go." He said.

Then, the two Autobots ran down the hall.