Chapter 6

Paul's POV

I had been watching Elsa sit in her car since she had gotten back from wherever she went. She looked so beautiful just sitting there in the moonlight. As beautiful as she looked, the smell that came off of her was disgusting. I could tell she had just come from visiting the hospital, she smelled like plastic and disinfectant. She also smelled sickeningly sweet, only Dr. Cullen smells in such a way. The stench made a growl come to the back of my throat at the thought that she had been within seeing distance of such a monster.

I was equally worried about the look on her face. her eyes were puffy like she had been crying which immediately made me want to go over there and hold her and ask her what had made her cry. A small voice in the back of my head reminded me that it wouldn't be such a good idea. She still hated me and I could tell she wanted to be alone.

A grin made it's way onto my lips when she came out of the truck and began walking through the forest. It would get that stench off of her and give her the best scent in the world, but there are also dangers in these woods so I walked beside her in my wolf form. I was forced to walk very slowly due to my freakishly long legs and her slow thoughtful pace. What I wouldn't give to just hear what she was thinking. She seemed so disturbed for most of her thought process, almost on the verge of more tears. Other times she seemed so peaceful I could tell those disturbing thoughts had left her mind.

It made me chuckle a little bit when she smiled at the small rabbit that decided to make itself known. Her sweetness and innocence is what drew me to her initially two years ago. It seems that it hasn't gone away. She kept walking until he came upon a cliff, this whole situation seemed completely harmless. She sat down over the edge, a safe enough distance for my taste even if she decided to dangle her feet over the side. It gave me a bit more security when she laid back and folded her hands on her stomach. This would lessen the chances of her sliding over the edge.

In this moment when I silently phase back into my human for and sit down, I realized that I am a hopeless love sick puppy. If only the guys could see me now. I always give them crap about them and their imprints, they basically stalked them for a solid week before they got the courage to go and talk to her themselves. I was doing the exact same thing, only I think Elsa would be even more freaked out that I was lurking in the shadows than a normal woman. Then again it did look pretty bad and anyone else would probably get arrested for such a thing.

As I watched her stare at the sky off and on the urge to go over there and lay next to her was growing. The only thing keeping me where I sat was a voice in the back of my head telling me something bad was going to happen and would need this distance between us.

It turns out that voice was right, what happened next blew my mind. She propped herself on her elbows and looked around. I wondered if maybe I had made a sound that she heard. She stood on her feet and looked over the edge getting a bit too close for my liking. When she dared take another step closer I was immediately on my feet prepared to pull her back from the edge.

She looked down the water as if calculating the distance and whispered, "Please let this be quick."

Panic fills my being as I realize just what was on her mind. No. Please don't. I was frozen in my place as she held out her arms and fell down. "Elsa!" I screamed and ran after her glad that I had stayed where I was. With that momentum I used after I pushed myself from the edge I landed in the water separated from her.

Five feet away from me I saw her struggling and panicking, the initial shock of the cold water must have made her gasp. All that cold water must have filled her lungs pulling her down. The instinct to survive is too much in the human mind so of course she could struggle but she was only sinking. I immediately swam down towards her with my arm out prepared to grab her and swim back up. There was no way I was going to loose her again, not like this. I finally reached her after it seemed like we had reached the bottom. I wrapped my arm around her waist and used my other to swim up the surface. We both burst to the surface and I gasp for air. Elsa was limp in my arms and her heart rate was dropping which made me get us both to shore in probably record time. I am just thankful that it wasn't a storm on the ocean, it was very calm which made it easier for me to swim.