one

Aragorn POV

When the horse comes crashing through the bushes, even I am sure we're about to die. Frodo gasps for breath on the ground and Sam, Merry, and Pippin look up in fear. I draw my sword and stand in front of them. The horse stops in front of me, breathing hard, it shakes its head and I can see in the soft light that it is not the black armored horse of a wraith, but a soft chestnut color. The world around us hasn't gone cold. This is not one of the nine. The figure riding the horse steps down onto the ground and removes his hood.

"Who are you?" I ask, not lowering my sword.

"I am Lord Elvion Celevonor, son of Elrond of Rivendell, Lightbringer of Imladris Karningul and Lorien." he answered in quick, beautiful, elvish."But many know me as Iston". He finishes in the language of men.

I do know that name, although I've never met him. His life isn't too unlike mine. Wandering middle earth and helping where he's needed. I did not know that he was also Elrond's son. But it does not matter now.

"He's an elf." Same says, eyes wide.

Iston pushes past the hobbits and kneels next to Frodo. He places a hand on his chest and Frodo cried out.

"He's not going to last. We must get him to my father." He says, moving quickly.

"You cannot just take him." I interrupt. I do not know this man and I do not trust him.

"I am not giving you a choice." He looks down on me and I can tell he is Elrond's son. He holds his face the same, stern and proud, but he is also young and light, with high cheekbones and blue eyes. I have no doubt that he is who he claims to be. He is also right, we don't have a choice. It is either this or Frodo's death.

I lift Frodo and set him gently onto the horse.

"The roads will be too dangerous to take." I say to Iston.

"I am a fast rider. Frodo's dying. If I can get across the river, the power of my people will protect him." He swings himself up onto the horse. "I do not fear them."

"Where are you taking him?" Same asks. The elf looks down on him and his face softens.

"Do not worry. No harm will come to your friend by me."

I meet his eyes. He gives me a single nod and takes off back into the forest. All I can do is have hope for Frodo and him.

***

Iston POV

We ride hard, covering as much ground as possible. The dark riders still lurk behind us and I can sense Frodo getting weaker and weaker with every moment that passes.

I feel the Nazgul closing in and I push my horse faster. We crash through the forest and I can see the gleam of the river in the distance. My horse's hooves splash into the water and I cross into the land of Rivendell.

"Give up the halfling." One of the riders demands. I draw my sword.

"If you want him, come claim him."

They urge their horses towards me and begin to cross the water. I breathe in and as I breathe out the water begins to glow a soft blue. I focus and lift my head. It rises up and sweeps the Nazgul in one motion. With the little magic I have and after the days of riding I feel energy drain from my body but the riders are gone.

I feel Frodo slump further into me.

"No Frodo! Don't give in." I pull him close to me. I close my eyes and match my breathing to his haggere inhales. " What blessings have been given to me, let it also be bestowed on him. Spare him. Spare him." I look down at the hobbit. "Come back to the light Frodo."