five

Iston POV

Everyone is in shock and distraught. The hobbits cry around us and I can't seem to grasp the idea that Gandalf is gone.

"Legolas. Get them up." Aragorn orders.

"Give them a moment, for pity's sake." Boromir says angrily.

"We have not the time." I say.

"By nightfall these hills will be swarming with orcs! We must reach the woods of Lothlorien. Come, Boromir, Legolas, Gimli, Iston, get them up!"

Aragorn says. His eyes soften as he turns to Sam. "On your feet Sam."

"Frodo? Frodo!" He calls after the hobbit, who turns to him with tears in his eyes. I make my way over to Frodo, who doesn't turn to me. I kneel in front of him with my forehead resting on his so I can look him in the eyes. 

"We must go. Gandalf..." My own voice catches when I say his name "... he wanted this quest to succeed. We have to make that happen for him. I know it is not easy, losing one you love and having to push past the grief, but we must push forward." 

A tear leaks from his eye but he nods. I squeeze his shoulders before standing and walk to where the rest of the group waits for us.

We make our way towards the woods of Lothlorien and although the loss of Gandalf sits fresh in my mind, I can't help but be excited to be nearing Lorien. It has been quite some time since I was here. 

As we step into the trees, I stay back to take in the glory of the forest around me. I feel at home sheltered in these trees. As if a great weight has been lifted off of my shoulders and I can breathe freely again.

"Stay close young hobbits. They say there's a great sorceress lives in these woods. An Elf-witch of terrible power. All who look upon her fall under her spell and are never seen again." Gimli says loudly up ahead.

I smile slightly. My grandmother is a great sorceress but she is no witch. I linger beneath the trees. I run my hands across the bark and leaves and it's as if their life force and mine recognize one another. I can no longer see the others through the trees but I can still hear them clearly. 

"Well! Here's one dwarf she won't ensnare so easily! I have the eyes of a hawk, and ears of a fox!" Gimli continues.

"The dwarf breathes so loud, we could have shot him in the dark." A familiar voice says. I drift my way slowly after them. 

"Mae govannen, Legolas Thranduilion. (Welcome Legolas, son of Thranduil.)" Halir says.

"Govannas vun gwennen le, Haldir o Lorien.(Our Fellowship stands in your debt, Haldir of Lorien.)" Legolas responds.

"A, Aragorn in Dunedain istannen le ammen. (Oh, Aragorn of the Dunedain, you are known to us.)" Haldir greets Aragorn.

"Haldir." Araogrn says with respect.

"So much for the legendary courtesy of the Elves! Speak words we can also understand!" Gimli says grumpily.

"We have not had dealings with the dwarves, since the dark days." Haldir answers.

"And do you know what this Dwarf says to that? Ishkhaqwi ai durugnul! (I spit upon your grave!)"

"That! was not so courteous!" Aragorn says, frustrated.

"You bring great evil with you. You can go no further!" Haldir says, I know he can sense the presence of the rings.

"Boe ammen veriad lun. Andelu i ven! (We need your protection. The road is fell!)" Aragorn responds.