fourteen

Iston POV

I wake as my head is slammed against the ground. My eyes snap open and I look up to see a growling warg above me. Uruk-hai's laugh gurgles with laughter next to it.

"I found this little elf and couldn't help but bring him back. A little trophy to show off before I kill him and eat him eh?" He says to his friends.

I recall what happened now. Six Uruk-hai had backed me against the wall. I take pride in my ability to fight. I know I hardly ever lose. Yet six Uruk-hai is still a lot. After trading many blows, I managed to kill three of them. The remaining three still came at me, their wargs snapping at the swings of my blade. I was so focused on the three in front of me, that I didn't notice when a blow came from the side. I looked up to see a large Uruk-hai holding a crude axe before my vision had gone black.

I notice that my hands are bound behind my back. This Uruk-hai, the one that took me, is not the one that hit me. He is far too scrawny. Around him are four other lower ranking Uruk-hai, they all watch me like vultures.

"I doubt I would taste very good." I say back. He cackles again and pushes his crooked sword blade against my neck.

"I think I should cut out your voice box for a souvenir."

He picks up my staff and holds it out to show off to his companions.

"I think Sauroman might like this. You know, use it to get on his good side. And if he doesn't, well, it'll make some good firewood."

There is a long knife in my boot and a shorter one strapped to my inner forearm. I can still feel them against my skin. If I can get to them, I can probably easily take these four and their wargs. My head throbs and I know that isn't my only injury but I haven't got the time for that now.

I sit up on my knees and reach back, pulling the knife from my boot. The rope they have bound my hands with isn't that strong and it takes the Lorien knife only seconds to cut through it. I'm on my feet and all of the Uruk-hai rush forward and I kill two without sparing any time on thought. I'm unsteady on my feet, my head spinning. I know there is a large wound on my side, a result of the uruk-hai's attack back at helm's deep. It makes it harder to move the way I'm used to.

One of the Uruk-hai is just as easy to kill but its warg charges at my knees, and although I stab him, he knocks me to the ground and sends his claws over my shoulder leaving three gaping wounds across my chest. He's dead the moment his paw moves away from me.

The last Uruk-hai, the one that took me captive, stands over me as I kneel on the ground.

"I should have just killed you before. But it doesn't matter, I'll just do it now." He whips his blade around to cut my throat and it catches on the side of my neck as I turn my head away and stab up at his stomach. The uruk-hai slumps to the side and its blade trails across my neck in the line intended to kill me leaving a skin deep cut as he falls. My staff lays on the ground beside him and I snatch it up. Out of anger, I slam it into the side of his head even though he's almost already dead.

"Never touch that again." I say, standing and looking around me. They are all dead and there are no other orcs or uruk-hai around. They must have been stragglers, scavengers of the lowest rank looking for goods and prizes to bring back with them. I have no danger of encountering any more of them.

The forest around me isn't that dense and I can see the grassland beyond the trees. I'm shaky on my feet as I walk across the forest floor. I step out of the trees and onto the battlefield. No one out there is alive and I can tell quite a few hours have passed by the way the sun sits in the sky and the smell that fills the air. Those orcs must have been lurking around the battlefield for a while, trying to find things of value.