FOUR [The Individualist]

In certain light, I can plainly see
A reflection of magnificence
Hidden in you
Maybe even in me

Yoo Joonghyuk felt the seething shower on his back as he thought about the past few days and the encounters he had experienced with Kim Dokja on the Deus Ex Machina and in the Ice-Land Arena. The first time he saw the figure skater on the bridge, he looked so isolated and depressed, frowning at the water below as if considering the fatal jump. However, when Joonghyuk saw Dokja skate... That was an entirely different person. The way his body leaped and twirled to his own rhythm and the joyful expression when sharing his skills with those kids, no one would ever have guessed he was troubled when by himself.

The second Yoo Joonghyuk had recognized him in the rink, he was about to turn back until Yoo Mia rushed behind him to hide. She probably noticed Shin Yoosung and, out of shyness, didn't want to be seen. Before he could encourage her to leave with him, the music started playing, and everyone surrounding Dokja immediately became drawn into his presence as he swayed to the beat on ice. Kim Dokja had told him that his ice skating failure trended faster than the hockey game, but how? How was that possible when now he was perfecting each move so effortlessly in front of them?

Joonghyuk remembered the flawless movements and Dokja's confidence in landing jumps in practice and he was so confident in doing so to the extent in which he literally strapped his phone on his leg. Dokja's student- Yoosung, was it?- who was the same age as Yoo Mia, could tell the difference between each jump easily and was able to pull off many of her own during training which was an impressive feat for a skater so young. When Yoo Mia told him that she wanted Kim Dokja to teach her, he could not blame her for that choice. Not a single bit. Kim Dokja was more than qualified to be worthy of his sister's favor: the unwavering spins; those soothing touches; a wide, welcoming smile, and open gestures- all characteristics of comfort which Joonghyuk himself was not able to share with Mia.

He turned off the tap and each tedious drip upon his head allowed him to ponder the questionable behavior Kim Dokja exerted toward him when they saw each other again. Joonghyuk expected Dokja to immediately turn away from him the moment they made eye contact, but he confronted Joonghyuk head-on. Although it annoyed him a great deal (he never wanted to punch anyone harder, except maybe his parents), Joonghyuk was also surprised at the audacity of this man to attempt provoking an ice hockey player known to be aggressive, no less the same person that literally held him in a choking stance a week prior.

He despised Kim Dokja's playful pouting and banter, and nervous laughter after saying things no one would dare tell him to his face:

"You're not stalking me, are you? I have many fans but none as obsessive to this extent."
"Aww, you're not jealous that your sister wants to be taught ice skating by me instead, are you?"
"Why do you glare at me like that? You look like you're going to choke me again."
"Then try it. Is your stick faster or my tongue faster?"

Utterly humiliating. If Yoo Mia or the other kids were not there to witness their interaction, Joonghyuk would not have hesitated to pin this rat bastard down and beat him up. That was another reason why he wanted to go to the rink on Tuesday and meet with the skater alone, an opportunity of not being required to hold back his rage, and where Dokja would not use kids as his crutch to be excused from being held accountable for that embarrassment (Jihye would not stop pestering him about it afterward). All his awfully cruel commentary and...

"Well done, you two! I'm moving onto combinations, okay?"
"I apologize for my behavior. Please enjoy your stay here."
"That's it, see? You learn so fast. You'll be a professional in no time!"
"Your brother probably brought you with him to spend time together so, for now, maybe just stay with him and I can teach you when you're ready to go further."