NINE [The Peacemaker]

Wake up
Fall in love again
Wage war on gravity
There’s so much worth fighting for you’ll see

* * *

"You are acting like a wife," Han Sooyoung pointed out as I fed Yoo Joonghyuk another spoonful of soup. 

She and Sangah had arrived back at Joonghyuk's place after dropping Mia off at school. Meanwhile, I had been treating the Sunfish Bastard who refused to leave the bed. I had been staying by his side for a few days now whenever he felt woozy or developed migraines spontaneously. Lee Seolhwa had ordered him to stay low for a while to rest so that his injuries could heal effectively, and I had assured everyone that I would be living with him and Mia temporarily until Star Stream calmed down. 

I avoided social media as much as possible, receiving the daily news from Sangah whenever something big happened, such as the Zarathustra being shut down, Werewolves being held accountable for their assault records, and, of course, 'Joongdok' content. 

I turned to Han Sooyoung. "Do you want to feed him then?" 

"No," she responded, leaning on the door frame, "I'm just saying. You're spending so much time with your husband over here that you're missing skating lessons."

At first, I thought she was talking about the skating classes that I was supposed to teach—which made no sense because I had already put out a notice about postponed lessons—but then I realized that she was likely talking about my choreography training with Kyrgios for the upcoming Iceskating Tournament. 

I put down the bowl and held Joonghyuk's calloused hand, dragging the tip of my finger along the ring. His hand gripped mine and I looked up to his sleepy eyes that bore into me guiltily as if he was apologetic for holding me back from skating. Joonghyuk had admitted that he missed watching me skate, and I agreed that I wanted to compete once more to show how much I had improved over time from his constant exercises. 

"I have two months to practice with Kyrgios for the Tournament," I assured, "And I'm a fast learner, so don't worry."

I was more concerned about the upcoming month since it was Han Sooyoung's birthday on April Fools' and I was uncertain what to get her. Jung Heewon already decided to get a pack of Lemon lollipops, Joonghyuk and Mia would likely get a video game with an unlocked variety of Avatars for her, and Hyunsung bought a puzzle of a dragon on behalf of himself and the kids. Sangah had already planned the day out, setting up restaurant dates for them. Meanwhile, I, the best friend, could not think of anything that I had not gotten her in previous years.  

When Sooyoung and Sangah left the house, leaving me and Joonghyuk alone, he reached out for me after I finished feeding him the soup. I cuddled next to him resting my head lightly on his chest as he pulled me closer, enduring the affectionate warmth. It had only been a few days since the Regressors won the finals, and it had been difficult to ward off reporters or journalists from our respective homes. When Joonghyuk suggested that I stay with him and Mia until the attention dissipated, who was I to say no? Especially after all the trouble and effort he had gone through to show the world how unashamed he was for being with me. What an angel. 

"Your soup tastes like shit," Joonghyuk said. 

… What a fucking asshole. 

I lightly hit him on his shoulder. "You jerk, I prepared that food for you with my blood, sweat, and tears!"

"I could taste that too."

I involuntarily smiled; no matter how insulting his comments to me were, these days my heart just refused to stay mad at the Sunfish Bastard. Turning to press my stomach toward him, I leaned over his handsome features, tracing my hand delicately around his scarred eye.