────── eight

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ

═══ FAMILY TIES ═══

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ

MEETING HALFWAY ON THE STAIRS, Akiko was surprised to see Mikey, his vice-president and another young man with dark hair. Despite knowing they had come to her rescue, Akiko clutched onto Chifuyu's arm, shaken. She eyed the dark haired male, finding a striking resemblance to Mikey.

"Where is Hoshino?" asked Mikey. His Toman coat billowed in the nightly winds, a stone cold expression had taken residence on his face.

"He left," informed Chifuyu. "We don't know where he is. He left his lacky to do the dirty work for him. Baji is holding him off."

That was all Mikey needed to hear. "Ken-chin, stay here with Shinichiro. I'll help Baji."

"Are you sure?" interjected Akiko. "Kurayami is huge. I bet it takes five guys to take him down. Plus, he's a grown man."

But Mikey payed no mind to her doubts. He brushed past her, climbing up the stairs toward the noisy fight going on between Baji and Kurayami.

"Don't worry about Mikey," said the tall raven-haired man. "He might be a shrimp, but he's a strong shrimp."

Akiko glanced up at Chifuyu, then at the vice-president — she remembered Chifuyu calling him Draken. None of them seemed to doubt Mikey. With a sigh, she nodded.

"Let's get Akiko out of here, and your mother too," said Draken, his eyes trained on the injured shoulder Akiko was sporting.

"We can patch her up at the shop," decided Shinichiro.

"What about your apartment?" asked Akiko worried. "Kurayami literally unhinged the door. Aren't you afraid someone's going to steal something?"

"Are you seriously worried about that?" questioned Draken, staring at the brunette in disbelieve. "A door is the least of your worries right now."

"You should at least stay with your mother," Akiko insisted, even though leaving Chifuyu's side was the last thing she wanted to do. "I've caused more than enough trouble for your family and after tonight she needs you."

Chifuyu examined her face for a sign of anything that contradicted her words, anything that pleaded for him to stay, but when he found nothing he nodded and gave her hand a squeeze. He looked at Shinichiro and Draken. "Take care of her."

Akiko watched him walk toward a car and recognized Mrs. Matsuno sitting behind the wheel. When the woman caught Akiko staring, she avoided all eye contact. Thanks to Mr. Hoshino, Mrs. Matsuno would most likely never welcome Akiko into their home ever again.

She nearly jumped out of her skin when a big, warm hand placed itself on her upper back. A glance over her shoulder told Akiko that Shinichiro had stepped closer, perhaps in an attempt to provide some sort of comfort.

"Come on. The longer we stay out here, the more dangerous it is."

Akiko nodded wordlessly. She followed Shinichiro to his bike, took a seat behind him and held on tightly as they sped down the street, Draken hot on their tail.