────── sixteen

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ

═══ UNSTEADY BUT
STILL GOING ═══

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ

"AND YOU DECIDED THAT WITHOUT ME?"

Utter disbelieve was displayed on Akiko's features as she stared down the ravenette in front of her. Kazutora was hiding behind Baji's back, while Chifuyu had opted to lean against the wall looking anything but pleased.

"It's not that bad," defended Baji. "When Hohsino thinks you let your guard down, he's more likely to take the bait."

"And this is the only thing you could think of?"

"You don't have to pretend like this is the only thing you hate about the plan."

"When I offered to be the bait, you refused. Now, you suddenly decide to put two people at risk. Do you listen to yourself? This is insane!"

"He agreed to it! You're the only one who's against it!"

"You're the one who's making a plan without my consent! We agreed to do this as a team!"

"Why do you have to be so difficult?!"

"I JUST DON'T WANT TO HAVE SOMEONE'S LIFE ON MY CONSCIENCE!"

Her chest heaved up and down rapidly after yelling at the top of her lungs.

"Kiko," Chifuyu spoke up from the side. He stepped closer and put a hand on her shoulder, only to have her shake it off and step back, signaling him to keep a distance. "I want to be there. I couldn't live with myself if something happened to you. That promise I gave you, I intend to keep it. Protecting you is my - our top priority."

"You don't understand, do you?" Akiko laughed dryly. "For the first time in my life I feel like I belong. I found a family who cares about me. I have more than one friend. I finally feel like I could be happy. By putting yourself on the line you risk all of that. I can't bare to lose you so soon."

"You won't," Chifuyu said firmly. "Toman is behind you. All of our captains and vice-captains are on board, Draken and Mikey too. As long as you have us, no one can hurt you."

"You don't know Hoshino Ken in the slightest," Akiko warned them. "He won't fall for some childish play. If he sets himself a goal, he reaches it without wasting any time. Stand in his way, he'll kill you. He's capable of a lot of things. He won't hesitate to kill in cold blood. History proves it."

"But if we're successful, Hoshino will be defeated and you'll be safe," interjected Baji.

"What about the rest of Pandemonium?"

Cautiously, Kazutora stepped beside Baji. "They aren't as powerful as they make everyone believe. Pandemonium itself only has four members, the upper echelons. Everyone else left after Hoshino Junto died. The other gangs only work for them because of the money. That's as far as their influence goes."

Taking the chance to cool down, Akiko forced her mind to focus and process Kazutora's words. Money was a source of influence for Pandemonium, which only had four official members — Ken, Kurayami and two others who were currently still unknown to Toman. Should the money stop flowing, problems would arise. Gangs would break off deals with Pandemonium. They would lose power over Tokyo's underground. And even though it wouldn't stop Ken, it would slow him down.