────── Bonus Chapter: A Picnic Date

Time : Post High School

Golden rays of sunlight, scattered by the foliage of trees, comfortably warmed her skin as Akiko hurried through the park, her eyes swept the crowd of people littered across the area to enjoy and welcome the first gorgeous days of spring. The same reason had swayed Chifuyu to invite Akiko on an inpromptu picnic date - ever since both teenagers had graduated and embarked on a journey as young adults discovering their rightful place in the world, neither had been able to find much time to indulge in the fluff moments of romance and cuddles. Hence, Akiko had up and left the moment her last lecture ended and raced to the park, with great reluctance to keep her boyfriend waiting.

She found him lounging on a red and black checkered picnic blanket under a large oak tree providing shade and shelter from the sun. A flurry of emotions erupted in her chest when she took in the sight of a contented smile gracing his handsome features. Sprawled out, with both arms behind his head and his eyes closed shut, not a muscle twitched in his face. Chifuyu was fully relaxed.

Akiko took her chance to catch him by surprise, tiptoeing quietly toward the unsuspecting boy. She kneeled down by his head, leaned forward and planted a firm kiss on his lips. While he did momentarily jump in surprise, Chifuyu recovered rather quickly as his eyes fluttered open to sent an accusing glance at the brunette.

"Scaring people is mean," he pouted. 

Akiko released a chuckle before she put down her backpack and took a comfortable seat on the blanket next to the blonde. A sigh of relief passed her lips when she could finally relax. Her shoulders sagged and she leaned all her weight on Chifuyu, welcoming the steady rhythm of his heartbeat in her ear.

"Busy day?" He asked. He gently threaded a hand through her brunette locks, carefully combing out any knots with his nimble fingers, eliciting another sigh of purest contentment from the girl as she cuddled further into his chest.

Gradually, they sunk deeper into a bubble encasing them in their own little world. The outside became a distant sound of unintelligible conversation, disgruntled noises and the occasional bark of a dog. A light breeze was going through the park, carrying with it the sweet scent of flowers coming into bloom as a result of nature's awakening. 

Akiko nodded, her cheek rubbing up against the soft fabric of his shirt, and she inhaled the scent of his cologne lingering on his skin. "I've had three lectures and spent at least an hour researching in the library for an assignment, which isn't anywhere near completion."

"Well, you've always been a diligent student," Chifuyu flattered her. "But that often distracts you from taking proper care of yourself."

In a swift movement, as though to further prove his concern and care, he produced a water bottle from a bag and held it out to Akiko, who rolled her eyes and expressed her appreciation by planting a kiss on his cheek.

"Are your studies coming along well though?" He peered at her sideways as she threw her head back and gulped down a generous amount of the clear liquid, emptying at last half the bottle in one go.

"Yeah, I think so. The workload is insane compared to high school but it's managable, especially since I joined a study group. Everyone is so dedicated, it's actually quite inspiring. And dad has been helping too!"

She was grinning from ear to ear, speaking in a most animated fashion that ignited a spark in her amber eyes. Years prior, when Akiko had been forced to deal with the aftermath of the Hoshino family tragedy, that spark had not existed yet, which was all the more reason for Chifuyu to silently cheer in celebration at the thought of Akiko truly doing well in life and finding something that set her heart ablaze with passion.

"How's work at the pet shop?" Akiko asked, her fingers lightly traced a couple of scratches adorning Chifuyu's left cheek - probably battle scars from dealing with a particularly rebellious feline; Akiko was well aware of her boyfriend's habit of nuzzling his face into their soft, warm belly and could imagine him taking a clawed paw to the face.

"Some new kittens came in today," he recounted excitedly, "and one of them looks a lot like Peke J. But when Baji came to visit during my lunch break, he scared the little guy so much that he lashed out and jumped on my face."

Akiko couldn't help the laugh bubbling up in the back of her throat. She leaned away from Chifuyu to see his eyes narrow and his lips set in a hard line, clearly taking offence. She uttered a half-hearted apology to appease him, before the growling of her stomach sent a rush of heat to her cheeks. The couple took it as their cue to began to unpack the food Mrs Matsuno had helped her son prepare - from sandwiches, over rice balls and spring rolls, to deserts in little glass jars topped with whipped cream and pieces of strawberry, the picnic was like a little buffet of all the things Akiko loved.

Ready to fill their stomachs with delicious foods, the couple was interrupted by a familiar laugh and a voice called out, "Look, Ken-chin, they even brought tayaki!"

Enter Invincible Mikey and Draken, intruding on what was supposed to be a cozy spring date and turning it into a friendly get together. Akiko's initial dismay about the intrusion was quickly forgiven when Mikey flashed a dazzling smile, ruffled her hair and snatched a sandwich out of a box.

"Did you finish up early at the bike shop?" She inquired, sniggering when Mikey bid farewell to good bedside manners and released a loud burp after chugging down a large gulp of lemonade.

Shaking his head, Draken took to answering. "Shin had to close up because he has a meeting with Junto. Says they want to discuss business and strategies to expand the shop."

Her eyes lit up with joy and she clapped her hands, "That's great! Maybe SS Motors and the Hoshino Trading Center can become business partners, then we could work together!"

Next to being a full-time university student, Akiko would come in as intern to work and learn under her father. After her eighteenth birthday, and when investigations of Pandemonium had been closed, she had inherited the company as intended and had appointed Junto as acting manager until she would finish her degree and be able to take over from there. But Akiko was already able to contribute largely to the company - Junto asked her opinion on all matters before making any final decisions and he always took her ideas into consideration. All in all, things were looking up for the Hoshinos.

It was only after Draken left to give a sleepy Mikey a piggyback ride home that Chifuyu and Akiko got to enjoy some peace and quiet as the sun gradually descended toward its nightly slumber, turning the sky into a red sea with waves of soft clouds rippling the surface. 

Chifuyu was first to break the comfortable silence. "I've been thinking ... We're both eighteen now and in a few years you'll graduate from university. Have you ever thought about moving in together?"

Akiko perked up, her pointer finger ceased to draw random patterns on his clothed stomach, and she sat up to chance a glance at Chifuyu, eyes round and gleaming with hope. "Occasionally, the thought does cross my mind, but I'm always too shy to bring it up."

"Well, I would like to move in with you soon as we can," he declared, the corners of his eye crinkled as he smiled proudly.

"Do you really mean it?"

"I wouldn't propose the idea if I weren't serious about it."

"Chifuyu ... " She grinned like a Cheshire cat before she threw her arms around the boy, tackling him in a hug that was sure to knock all air out of his lungs. 

Immediately after accepting his offer, Akiko went off on a rant about everything they would need to do in preparation for future living arrangements, talking about when they should start looking for places, which district of the city they wanted to live in, who should be invited to the housewarming party, etcetera. She could only be silenced in Chifuyu's favourite, most cliché way - after all, he was still a massive fan of romance manga, despite finally living out all his fantasies - and he captured her lips in a sweet kiss.

"How about we take it one step at a time?" He offered, biting back a grin at Akiko's flustered state, a flush crept up her face.

"One step at a time," she whispered, her head slowly bobbed in agreement. Then, she dove in for another kiss.