07. 01. The compromise

Nandini looked at her late father's pictures. Her whole family's life changed after her father passed away a month ago. They had to move to city from their town. Her mother was depressed and wouldn't move from her room. Her two younger brothers had to join new school and were trying to adjust.

The biggest adjustment had to be done by her. A month ago, after her 12th she was focusing on college entrances and now she would have to forget it. She would have to get married early to support her family.

Her shanno Chachi shouted at her to come down. She packed the pictures back again but before she could move out Chachi came in. Nandini gulped. Chachi glared at her, "How much time would it take you to come down... Bhaiya ji and my husband is no more but there is your mother and brother... your mother wouldn't move... your brothers are too small. They need security. Your future husband is securing their future. It wouldn't be a huge trouble then please participate in the rituals... You would have married some day... its just the day has arrived sooner.. come."

"Chachi, can't we wait till I graduate... I can get a job..."

"Don't you have any practical bone in your body? It would take three years for you to graduate... and even then, there is no guarantee. Your father and uncle were no millionaires how would be surviving till then?" Chachi retorted back.

Nandini had nothing to say.

She held her jaw and made her look. "Listen! Your mother isn't even in the condition to look at your groom's picture. Just do me this favour and stay put till marriage. After it everything would be alright. The invitations have already been distributed so don't make this more difficult for me. Come down for the haldi ceremony... we are not doing any other as the house is also in morning."

Nandini just silently nodded.

She went downside and sat down as few people applied haldi on her. Her eyes looked around and her mother was not around.

When everyone was done she took a bath and then went to her mother's room. Her mother just sat their looking at the window as a dead body.

"How are you, amma?"

No reply came.

"Today the haldi happened. Three days later is my marriage. I tried to talk to chachi but she would not listen... tell her na, amma." Nandini held her hand and a tear dropped from her eyes. "Amma!"

The room echoed with her cry but no reply came back.

"Nandini!" her aunt shouted again. She looked at her mother with helplessness. She silently wiped her tears.

Shanno looked at Nandini with annoyance. "We have still so much to do.... What is in the next to do list?"

Nandini looked at the hand written notes. "I have to go to some close relative with invites." She looked back at Shanno who nodded. "Normally, the family would go and do that but your mother... anyways, I have to go to the venue as your in laws are very big people, I have to make everything perfect... you go."

"Me alone?" Nandini was perplexed.

"Yes yes...go the list is there... I am leaving..."

Nandini just looked at the ten people list for whom she had to personally send the invites. She looked around and one name seemed missing... she took a spare card and added it.

***

Nandini a grew up in a closed environment. And she had just moved to the city after her  father's death. But even after so long, she was always shocked when she looked at Mr. Malhotra's mansion.