Seven: Gedeon

Chapter Seven:

Gedeon

"What?"

"Amnesia, it seems like," Dr. Benzo repeated, staring at his clipboard. Everyone has gathered around in my office, just across from my room, where Dove was still asleep. We've all been anxious about what was wrong with Dove, especially me. My heart is still a mess when I think of the damage she had caused herself before losing consciousness yesterday. She had awoken earlier today yet refused to look at anyone. We were able to deduce before we called Dr. Benzo over was her fear of being touched. When Anastasia got near her, she still tensed, but it wasn't as bad. She refused to talk, eat, or acknowledge anyone either.

"How certain are you?" Timor questioned.

Dr. Benzo cleared his throat, fixing his glasses before continuing. "Seeing how she won't speak, I can't comprehend her mindset, so I can't say for sure. However, she understood my questions, which is a good sign. Though judging by how confused and overwhelmed she is, I'm going to assume she doesn't remember any of you carefully."

"Is there something wrong with her vocal cords?" I asked, concerned.

He shook his head. "No, I've taken every medical evaluation I can. She had some broken bones and bruises that would take time to heal. Her vital organs are very much functioning and well, but it's her mental state I'm concerned about. It seems to be selective mutism, far as I know so far. It can be a way to cope when she was under Robert's torment, but I can't say for sure."

"So you're saying that she's choosing to be mute, and she has no clue who the fuck we are?" Nicolai threw in, his legs bobbing erratically for staying in one position too long. "So, we're starting from scratch?"

"Well, possibly," he concurred. "I don't know to what extent her brain remembers."

"Is it permanent?" Anastasia asked next to me. The room was too quiet, with a dark cloud looming over us. My brain is on overdrive, knowing that although we got Dove back, she suffered something under Robert that caused her to become withdrawn. My hands clenched so hard that my knuckles turned white as Dr. Benzo sighed.

"It's hard to say. Amnesia can be temporary or permanent. I would say give her time to adjust to these changes. Try not to overwhelm her too much, but carry on like you were when she was here. Daily activities can stimulate and job her memories," he told us as he tucked his clipboard under his arms. "Though, I would say she should rest for now."

"And why was she having a hard time breathing before?" Timor questioned.

"She had a panic attack, it seems," he said, looking over Dove's diagnostic again. He gave us a curious look at each one of us. "Since I wasn't there, I'm not sure what would have caused it. Any idea what may have led up to it?"

"I tried to touch her," I mumbled, the words sounding tormented as I recalled the look on her face. It's something I never wanted her to make again. It was haunting and tugged at a depth of my soul to burn everything down for her. The need to find Robert and kill every person in any relation to him before locking her up ate me up when I felt how fast her heart was racing out of fear for me touching her. I've touched her every night to keep my nightmares at bay, making sure I wasn't hallucinating and that she was there.

Ever since we've gotten her back, I've requested to move her to my room two weeks ago so I can make sure she wouldn't wake up confused and alone. Whenever her eyebrows furrowed as if she had a bad dream, I would hold her close, gently rubbing my fingers between her eyebrows until she calmed down. I wanted to ease her in the same way she did for me.