Eleven: Gedeon

Chapter Eleven:

Gedeon

"Holy fucking shit."

"You got that right," I murmured, still in disbelief since this morning. I watched as Timor squinted his eyes as he got on the same level as the tiny creature in my arms that had wandered right back in front of the greenhouse, nibbling on the grass.

Hell, even I thought I was hallucinating.

"Is that really..." he trailed off and cocked his head to the side. "Shit, what's its name again?"

"Scrabble."

Well, I'm more than positive it was with how he seemed to know his name, his long floppy ears and brown body perking up. The major giveaway had been his right hind leg. Despite his healing, he still had a slight limp in his step and didn't try running when I went to pick him up. Instead, he went utterly relaxed as if he was done with the outside world after being spoiled rotten by his owner.

"How the fuck is that motherfucker not dead?" Timor pondered in utter shock before his lips were pulled into a thin line. He tilted his head to the side with a grin. "How about we amputate one of its legs for good luck? I call his left foot that wasn't fucked up."

"Keep that up, and I'll amputate your fucking dick," I growled in retaliation as I made my way back indoors. Immediately, Scrabble started to look around, scrambling out my arm like the stubborn little shit he was.

"Would I bring you good luck next to your Bentley key fob?" he grinned before I elbowed him hard. He grunted as satisfaction rolled through me when I stepped into the living room. "I guess the saying is true: if you love something, let it go. If it comes back, it's yours, huh?"

I knew what Timor meant, but he had another thing coming if he thought I'd let Dove go.

I had once, and I went through hell to bring her back.

My wife was perched up in the love seat right before I had gone out for a phone call with Lizabeta. That was when the little rabbit spotted me, acting all innocent while eating grass and beckoning me to come check out if I was actually losing my fucking mind.

"Precious, look who's here."

At that, I lifted Scrabble up and cradled him to my chest.

Dove lifted her head from the book she was reading.

Something regarding my action of cradling Scrabble made her flinch harshly as she lowered her head once more. Her lips quivered, and I wanted to ask what was wrong, despite knowing I wouldn't get a response. I couldn't help but notice she had been on the same page the last hour, completely lost in her thoughts. I had to press my lips thinly together at how tired she had been looking lately—

Since her nightmares began a few days ago.

I had assumed speaking to her therapist after what happened in the shower would have helped. Yet every time we took one step forward, it felt like we were taking three steps back because I didn't know what was going on in that beautiful mess of her head.

It didn't make it any better. Her decline in health was in part with her refusing to sleep.

The first day was terrible; by the fourth, I was ready to lace her damn meal with sleeping pills if she didn't sleep soon. When she stayed up, I did the same, whispering sweet words to her in my native tongue while thinking of all the ways I'll kill Robert.

All I knew was that once I had that fucker, I would bring his damn head for my Queen.

My everything.