Chapter 1 - Startled

"Can I help you?" Faye asked, startled to see the white wolf in front of her.

"Probably not," he grumbled in reply.

"Then move along witcher" she turned her attention back to her plate of crusty bread and moulded cheese.

He ignored her dismissal as he took a swig of his ale.

She tried to pay no heed to the man in front of her but her senses were on edge and her skin prickled at the feel of his eyes on her. She picked at her food for an indiscernible amount of time until she heard the growl that passed as his voice.

"Why do you wear those things? You must be as blind as a Shaelmaar."

"Maybe I'm just too beautiful and it's for your protection" she said airily.

"Hmm I'll take my chances" he retorted, his lips twitching in amusement.

"Pity" but she didn't reach to remove her glasses. He sat there staring at her.

She sighed, tired of his stares and the strange feeling it stirred in her. "A curse. My eyes reveal my emotions" She said hotly, shoving the plate of food away from her.

"Doesn't everyones?" He admonished, glancing around the bar.

"Hmm no, not like that witcher." She replied with a weary smile. "It must be nice not to have any." her tone woefully.

She was met with silence. Her eyebrow ticked up in intrigue.

"Unless that's not true." she murmured, sliding around the table to sit closer to him, regarding him with curiosity.

She slid off her glasses and looked into his molten eyes of gold. She thought curiously as she gazed up at him, she'd never seen her eyes turn that shade.

"Who cursed you?" He asked, looking down into her dazzling eyes of green.

"Not sure, a mage's experiment. I was a child. But learned quickly the need to hide the truth of my feelings." Faye said with a melancholy smile.

"No one ever finds your glasses suspicious?" Geralt asked, picking them up to inspect the glass closer.

"No, many think I'm blind. You know having a pair yourself could come in handy. Hide your identity"

"I'll pass." He rumbled.

A small smirk with genuine humor graced her lips.

"Probably for the best your white hair is also an oddity." She goaded, but he didn't react. Instead he asked a question.

"You don't seem like you belong in a place like this." He surmised, surveying her face.

"Neither do you." She returned quickly, not a single muscle moved, but her eyes darkened a shade at his assumption.

Geralt's lips twitched as he tilted his head to the side.

"What brings you to Novigrad?" His tone conversational.

"What brings anyone here?" She retorted.

"You're not one for answers" He observed, his jaw tightening.

"Spoken by the one who responds in grunts" She supplied quickly, turning to glance around the room.

She was rewarded with a low growl in response, causing a large grin to spread across her face.

"Do you have a name protector of beauty?" Her eyes found his in a second. She could see the humor written in those strange but lovely eyes.

"I go by many, I accept my queen, my worshipfulness. And if I like you Faye." She replied, straightening her back, tilting her chin up, taking on a royal air about herself.

Geralt leaned closer, "Do you like me Faye?" he asked lowly, the warmth of his breath causing her skin to prickle.

"There are plenty of pretty young women here Witcher, why are you wasting your time on me?" She groused, pinching her lips together tightly. She wasn't used to being teased or flirted with. Men normally did as they pleased. Her instant attraction to him also unsettled her; it was unfamiliar.

"You appeared to be the most interesting." He watched her eyes lighten a shade before she looked away from him abruptly.

"Flattery won't get you under my skirt Geralt of Rivia" She said tersely.

"I prefer it to be off entirely" His deep voice rumbled close to her ear. His voice, his closeness and the warmth of his breath caused her to shiver slightly. Gods, she was losing her mind, a man had never had this effect on her. She thought it best to leave. Faye reached for her glasses, but Geralt caught her wrist, causing her eyes to flash to his. Even in the dim light of the bar Geralt was taken aback by the change in her eyes. They were deep oceans of lovely turquoise.

"What are you doing?" She whispered, her eyes glancing down to his mouth that was inches from hers.

"I haven't decided yet." His deep voice murmured as he searched her face, his eyes lingering on her moistened lips.

Faye made to tug her arm away, Geralt pulled her slightly closer.

"I have a pretty decent read on people, something's telling me you could use my help."

"Well I can certainly tell you that I don't need bedded." She said a little more breathy than she would have liked.

"Oh, I wouldn't be so sure." He rasped out.

He was interrupted just as he intended on ravishing her mouth.

"Oi Witcher, I have a job for you." A patron barked, throwing a bag of coins onto the table.

He exhaled in frustration, turning away from the woman.

Geralt released his grip on Faye's hand, in one quick movement she had her glasses and was gone.

"This better be good." the Witcher said, eyeing that man in front of him, sliding the plate of food Faye left abandoned closer to him.

~~~~~~~
Thanks for reading, let me know what you think! I love reading comments and hearing your thoughts!