Chapter 6 - Daggers

They had stopped for the night, nestled in a small clearing surrounded by trees. The sun was setting, the fire warm and bright. Faye had found some useful herbs nearby and was wrapping the stem in twine. She intended to hang them off her bag and allow them to dry.

"So tell me, how long have you been on your own?" Geralt started up conversationally as he stared into the fire.

"Are you asking how long I've survived alone?" She retorted, glancing at him sideways.

"Maybe." He smirked, his gaze shifting to her. Those gold eyes glowed in the firelight, they were simply beautiful, there was no other word for it.

"I did live with druids Witcher, they are quite a capable lot." She teased, letting her bronze hair fall in front of her face, shielding her eyes before they revealed the feelings he was able to elicit in her. He hadn't returned her glasses, she was pretty certain she wouldn't be getting them back. For the most part with enough focus she could keep her eyes from revealing everything, but she lacked focus and commitment with the wild emotions Geralt stirred in her.

Geralt tilted his head, watching, clearly waiting for her to continue.

She sighed and leaned back, propping herself up with her hands and looked up at the darkening sky. "When I left the druids I lived in the woods for a time, a few months. I managed to make a decent shelter, I was able to feed myself, I could hunt, foriage. I felt free, liberated," She smiled, remembering the parts she enjoyed, "but that feeling started to fade and was replaced with loneliness. I found myself too frequently stuck in my own head. Sometimes you need someone else to talk to." She admitted, her gaze returning to his lovely eyes.

"Why not get yourself a horse, they make great companions?" THe ghost of a smirk on his lips.

She glared at him, but a smile teased at the corner of her lips. "Yeah, not everyone finds fulfillment talking to their pony." She quipped.

"How long have you been traveling?" He asked, rolling over her remark.

"Over a month now." She admitted plainly.

"And how many times have you run into trouble?" He asked quietly, his eyes watchful.

"Only twice," Her gaze sliding away from his "Though to be fair for the most part I'm pretty good at avoiding unsavory bunches." Faye said in slight defense.

"How do you manage that?" He asked with mild curiosity.

"Maybe I'm gifted." She said with mocked importance, and then shrugged, looking down "I can sense people, something about them, who they really are despite appearances." She admitted

"And what do you sense about me Faye?" Their eyes locked, his face was passive but his eyes were dark, searching.

"Lots of things, actually." She whispered, a moth in the flame of his gaze, "but nothing evil if that's what you're asking." She whispered softly.

His lips pinched, searching her eyes. "Then you can't sense shit." He bit off, looking away.

She scoffed at him. "Maybe you just don't want people to know the truth." She countered, unoffended by his outburst.

His jaw flexed, clearly uncomfortable with this conversation "What happened those two times Faye."

She hesitated a moment, wishing she could convince him to realize how much better he was than most any human man. Instead she took a deep breath and answered him. "Oh well, the one lost an eye and the other saw reason when I had a knife to his groin." She said with a casual shrug.

"Is that what you keep hidden between your breasts?" He asked, his gaze flickered to her chest.

"Among other places." She smiled wickedly, trust Geralt to notice that one, she thought.

"Who taught you?"

"I learned from watching mostly and a few pointers from a friend. In my free time I practiced. In the woods I practiced more. I throw quite well, but obviously need practice close up." She admitted, raising her arm that was bruised and scratched, she was grateful he couldn't see her shoulder, there had been a nasty bruise there too.

"I can teach you." he offered.

"I'd like that." She smiled at him. She wanted to say something snide, but couldn't bring herself to soil his willingness to help her become stronger, more dependant.

"Why did you need a guide you're obviously quite capable.

She blushed. "I've been proven to have an abysmal sense of direction."

"That's obvious, you've landed yourself with a witcher." He mocked.

"So far that's been my best decision yet," she said with a small smile.