Nokukhanya (Chapter 1)

●Nokukhanya Ngwenya

[FLASHBACK]

"When I grow up I want to be star mommy. I want everyone to know my name."

"Is that so?"

"Of course! I want to shine bright like my name. Every where I go I want to bring light and love in people's hearts."

"Like your name?" I giggle and she joins me.

"Like my name mommy."

"Nokukhanya woza sambe." My dad calls out for me. Today he is taking me to school while my mother takes my grandmother to the doctor for her check up.

"Bye mommy. Bye Gogo!"

Both of them says goodbye to me while my dad steals a kiss from my mom before we walk out. Those were there Happiest days of my life.

[PRESENT DAY]

Well that was 13 years ago. I wish things were still the same as before I lost both my parents in a terrible accident. Now I'm left with my grandmother and everyday we are trying to make ends meet. Well I am.

I'm graduating next month and I'm praying to God that I have obtain high marks so I can get entrance to complete my CTA. I've been desperately searching for a learner ship and applying everywhere for an internship so I can get this baby on the roll. I've always wanted to become a CA and if it means that I need to wash dishes every night so I can earn money to pay my fees so be it.

I'm still yet to tell my grandmother that her other daughter kicked me out of my parents house. This will surely kill her if she finds out that I am now renting a one bedroom house I can barely afford.

"Khanyo! We need clean spoons! Stop day dreaming and get on it!" Its Nokukhanya you idiot!

I snap out of it when my manager shouts at me like he always does. Today its very busy the restaurant was booked for a function and instead of waitressing I'm on cleaning duty all because of my smart mouth. When he shouts again I roll my eyes at him and continue doing my job.

The function takes the whole fucken night and I swear I have washed dishes for the whole of South Africa! My hands are numb I cant even feel my toes.

How many times did I tell Mr Jones to invest in a dishwasher it would make life more easier for some of us... I mean for the restaurant but Noo 'Theres no budget for that Khanyo...why is it that you are the only one who complains every time you on kitchen duty' Its the same damn speech all the damn time! No Budget for a stupid dish washing machine! but who am I to complain I need this job it pays my Bill's at the end of the day.

I need my big break my brain wasn't born for this!

"Nokukhanya are you coming with me no Jabu or uzohamba no Vic?"

Cindy. My only best friend well my only friend. Lord bless her soul she's been with me ever since I lost my parents in that horrible car accident. She made me move in with her and her mother and that horrible sisters of hers when my aunt decided to put my grandmother in an old age home. They thought I wasn't going to look after her right since she was old and sick and yena she didn't have time for it as if they go see and check up on her like I do. All they ever wanted is my parent's money.

Vic...Victor this guy has been after me since I finished high school. I'm not interested in him though and I've been telling him this since he said hello to me the first day we met. He goes around and tells everyone that we are dating I got so tired with correcting everyone who had an opinion about us that I just don't care anymore.

"Khanyo!." I angrily turned my head at her and frowned she knows how much I hate that name.

"Don't call me that you know I hate it."