Nokukhanya (Chapter 9)

Chapter 9

●Nokukhanya Ngwenya 

So I got the job and I have been working here for almost three weeks now as an Accountant assistant and my pay isn’t that bad for a beginner and I always thought that people working at a supermarkets don’t earn much but oh boy oh boy was I wrong this supermarket makes a lot of money even the cleaners gets paid more than what I was earning at Jones. So tomorrow is my graduation day to say I’m stressed out wouldn’t even be the word to describe how I’m actually feeling. I’m graduating tomorrow because I was able to pay off my fees with the package I got plus my salary. One thing that I am very worried about is my Nana. I don’t know how I am going to take my grandmother to my house after the ceremony since my old one is on sale. I still haven’t told her that her other daughter is selling my parents’ house without my consent and that the wicked witch is nowhere to be found. I have been going there every day after work just to catch her on the act but with no luck I think she found out that I’m looking for her. Desmond and his wife moved out last week shem they have been very helpful with helping me gather more information about that witch they would call me every time she sent her skivvies to come and threaten them since they had to move out immediately but still no luck from me in meeting her.

“Nokukhanya please come in here please.” Shit what have I done now? I always get worried sick when I’m called in by my supervisor, Mzwadile Nazo he is one very funny man to everyone but I find him very scary and intimidating. On my first day here he gave me a pile of files to go through and his exact words were “Whatever is wrong fix it” and my clever self-did exactly that and found something that wasn’t meant for my eyes. When I showed him my findings he was LIVID. I have never seen someone as angry as he was that day I almost peed my pants. His manager was stealing the money… well he still is stealing it that is why Mzwandile  is currently being investigated because they thought it was him who was stealing the money.

“You called for me?”

“Yes. Close the door and sit down.” Okay.
I watch him watch me before he leans back on his chair then looks at me like he is undressing my soul. He is looking at me like he sees beneath this clothes I’m wearing. I clear my throat.

“Is something wrong.” I ask.

“Who are you.” He asks and I frown.

“Excuse me.” 

“Actually I mean who sent you here. Are you working for the big boss? Are you spying on us. On me?” I laugh. I laugh really hard.

What is this. “Alias" ? Am I Sydney Bristow? Was I sent to carry out missions and solve cases in this store? This is ridiculous and very funny. My life is mess and I’m trying to sort it out before I tell my Nana everything spying on people is the last thing on my mind. My laugh seizes when I see how serious he is.

“The big boss? I don’t know who that is. Why would I be spying on you. For what?” I ask and my eyes follows him as he stands up and starts pacing around the office. He is good looking no lie about that. I wonder if he has a girlfriend.

“I don’t know you tell me Nokukhanya. You came here for a job and I gave you one because… I don’t know… that day I was in a good mood but right now I’m not sure anymore. Why would the big boss write your recommendation letter to your school without even knowing you.” Say what! 

“He did what.” I stand up and face him and he stops moving.

“He wrote you your letter for the school for tomorrow. You know the internship you lied about last week.” Argh! 

Why did he have to bring that up again. So I lied then what because I’m still here. I mean I didn’t mean to send an email to my school and telling them I was I was on a internship here. I did very good with my exams and I was automatically granted entrance for my CTA. As I speak with this man who is looking at me funny. I am a qualified Chartered Accountant. Why is he looking at me like that. I mean he does know that sometimes you have to lie a little to get ahead but just make sure your lies don’t bring harm or hurt anyone. So I did not hurt anyone my little lie was justified who about that.