Nokukhanya (Chapter 27)

Chapter 27

● Langa Gumede

I never thought I would be standing up like this facing my brother over a girl. My daughters mother for that matter. Never in my life have I ever fought with my brother, I mean we always argue and all of that but no like this. My brother and I are not even talking because he took Nokukhanya’s side. I haven’t spoken to him for months now and this is killing my mother, it is also killing me inside. I love uLindokuhle and us fighting because of her is breaking my soul.  And him telling me that we were interrupting their family dinner felt like he was stabbing me straight in my heart.

I don’t know where Fikile went. I watch Nokukhanya as she takes my son from me. If it was another day, I would have appreciated the gesture but right now, I’m facing my brother who is breathing heavy in front of me.

“Lindokuhle.” I say calmy.

“What?” He challenges me.

“Get out of my face…” I say through greeted teeth.

“And if I don’t?” This boy challenges me. 

“Langelihle, take your brother and go fight outside. You came in here and disturbed our dinner with your wife. We were here to meet this one and wena you just ruined everything.”

MaGumede says bored causing my mom and my aunts to laugh. Lindo looks shocked and confused all of a sudden. 

“Gogo.” 

“Hhai. Don’t Gogo me wena Lindokuhle. You youngsters think we don’t know anything and that we can’t see whats happening around us. I cannot not believe you made umakoti lie to us. Wena Gugu hlala phansi, we know you are here for him.” She say’s pointing at my brother. Now I feel bad for even thinking that there was something going on between my brother and her. Lindokuhle knows how I feel about uNokukhanya. So, him making a move on her would have broken me, and he knows this.

“But…but how did you figure this out? I mean my plan for Baby mama to meet up with my girlfriend without any of you knowing was tight?” I watch as he walks away from me and sitting next to the girlfriend, and she blushes. I just wish he can stop calling my baby mama his baby mama.

“She knows everything. Welcome to our family Gugu and I hope we will be seeing a lot of you. You should teach your brother how it’s done Lindo not for him to just send out a letter asking for Fikile’s hand in marriage without letting any of us know.” My mom finally opens her month.

“Mma are you ever going to let this go?” I ask.

“NO!” All of them say at once and I’m left speechless.

“Okay! I’m sorry.” I say raising both my hands and surrender. I take the seat where Nokukhanya was sitting, I know when she comes back, she will have to talk to me. Our talk is long overdue now and I need to apologise for calling her bitch. This food is delicious, mouth-watering. I didn’t know she can cook like this. 

“Langa why are you here?” That’s my brother asking. I didn’t know one can choke on air until he said that. I was about to chew this delicious chicken. I see the girlfriend tries to talk him so he can show some respect but what she said to him goes in one ear and out the other ear.