Part 25

Rushing back into the base, the two ninja raised an alert to all present members. The second they were inside Tobi cast a reinforcement jutsu to strengthen the barrier and better defend against intruders, and neither of them slowed down until they reached the innermost sector of the hideout, where the infirmary was secluded and safe from invasion. At least...for now.

The infirmary was rarely used since no Akatsuki often returned from missions with more than a few cuts and bruises, so when Zetsu brought Hanaki inside to get a better look at her injuries the room was quiet, spotless, and orderly. Though it didn't stay that way for long.

Hanaki was trying- and failing- not to wail as she cried from pain, even more so as he set her on the edge of the raised examination bed at the back of the small space. Her leg was bleeding badly, and the thorn-made wounds wrapping around her ankle and up to the middle of her calf were deep and jagged. It was as if some beast had attempted to rip flesh from bone, and the vicious injury had already left a trail of dark red dots on the pale grey floor, when it hadn't bled into the plant nin's clothing from holding her. His hands were nearly as messy from her other wounds as he tried to ease her grip on his collar without hurting her. Even sitting down now she was clinging for dear life with what stength she still had, unable to blink away the tears streaming down her face as she stared up at him with pleading eyes.

She didn't want him to let go. He knew she felt vulnerable in her pain and fear, and now more than ever did he realize he was her last real sense of safety, in spite of the fact he had been so unreliable as a caretaker. Words may have failed her in trying to get that across but, when she couldn't hold back her loud sobs any longer, it was more than clear.

That was what made him grateful for Tobi flitting back and forth around the room, retrieving towels, water, antiseptic, and bandages that became piled at the foot of the bed beside them. "Come on, let go," he commanded urgently, hardly containing his own sense of dread. He was trying to be as gentle with her as possible since he still didn't know the full extent of her injuries, but her grip on his shirt was making it impossible to get a clear view. "I need to check this now before it gets worse."

Her cries barely ebbed, and they hitched in her throat as she tried to stop them, if only to process his words. But she hesitantly released upon realizing he wasn't planning to leave. Dirty fingerprints were left behind, and her hands trembled as she curled her arms around herself and squeezed her eyes shut. For all her crying, she couldn't see out of them anymore.

Just as Zetsu grabbed a small towel to handle her leg Konan came rushing in, panic stricken not only at the news of invasion but the sight of Hanaki's condition as well. "What on earth happened??" she exclaimed, shoving past Tobi to look over the toddler herself.

The masked nin was the one to reply, reverting back to his disguised child-like voice. "Hanaki got scared because Zetsu said he was leaving!" he started. "She ran into the forest, and there was an enemy ninja out there in our territory trying to take her again!"

Konan had been in the middle of examining Hanaki's face when she shot a horrified, partially enraged look back at Tobi. "What?!"

He retreated half a step, not liking the angry part. Perhaps he thought she was about to take it out on him, and didn't like the idea. "Tobi and Zetsu and Kisame went after her!" he explained. "We brought her back- Zetsu saved her from some nasty vine thingies!" Then his voice lowered, becoming more uneasy, and he tapped his fingers together. "But, uh..." He hesitated. "Kisame...he's still out there. He held off the intruder so we could escape and get Hanaki to safety. He might still be in combat..."

Even though we got her back alive, Zetsu thought, I wouldn't call it safety...

"What about our borders?" the co-leader exclaimed with disbelief. "We were never notified of a perimeter breach! How did they get past it?!" All Tobi could offer in response was an apologetic hum and shrug helplessly, visibly sinking into his own coat as if to evade her anger at the situation. It left her to huff in irate frustration as she ran a hand over her face. Without her speaking Zetsu knew they were all thinking the same thing.