Part 27

The night went on. But no one slept. Not even the child. From what he understood, Hanaki was holed up in Zetsu's room this time, in bed while the plant nin sat with her for her own comfort. Though, it wasn't helping. The trauma of the evening left her crying off and on as the hours passed. And that being the case, Zetsu refused to leave her side for even a moment. Not even for the current meeting among the present Akatsuki members. Instead, the plant nin sent a clone in his place, which sat in an otherwise vacant chair with its hands clasped over the large table's rectangular surface. Silent, unmoving, and unblinking as it listened for the sole purpose of relaying any important details later, and only to weigh in on the subject if asked. Much like the real Zetsu as of late, the clone was tense and held a boiling air about it. Not as intense perhaps, but still in a rage from the invasion.

Itachi had no idea the higher-ranking ninja could give off such stark intimidation, clone or not. They had just never been in the same room often enough to tell. At the same time, however, he still failed to fathom how Zetsu could have become so...worked up and invested over a child that had nothing to do with them. It was out of character.

Although, to be frank with himself, he had faired no better when she first appeared in the hideout. Even now, she was an immense unease to the Uchiha and he often found himself distracted keeping track of where she was in the base, as well as doubling down on security for his self-imposed border patrols. Long after his initial panic and shock of that first encounter he still wasn't allowed near her. And he supposed it was no secret that he would prefer it if she were dead.

There was a reason after all; a fine and indisputable line that separated him from the other Akatsuki in each of their outlooks.

He knew who she was. They didn't.

Yes, even before he and his partner recovered those clues from an abandoned bunker near the Hidden Grass, he knew exactly who she was. It was a torturous task trying to keep that information to himself without letting on there was any to give. Every second she spent here was a strain on his anxiety. A phenomenal risk of blowing his cover within the organization.

What's more, her presence was a keen reminder of a once long-forgotten fear. One he believed had officially been snuffed out for good two years ago. But...not anymore. Now the past was back to haunt him.

Yet another fact that perpetually nagged him to the point it felt difficult to conceal as he sat with his hands linked in front of his deceptively emotionless face in the meeting hall.

Everyone except Sasori and Pein were present now, with the exception of the plant nin on account of his clone. Kakuzu and Hidan made a hasty return shortly after Deidara, who were now all seated in their respective places along with Kisame and Tobi. Konan sat in the middle across from Itachi. Between them was an airtight glass case containing the mysterious item retrieved from the border.

There was a certain horror in the co-leader's amber gaze as she stared at the sealed object. Deidara had explained in part what he believed it was for based on his knowledge and short experience with it, while Itachi used his Sharingan to confirm the rest. At a glance it could pass as an advanced smoke bomb. But to all their growing unease, it was much more than that.

"A poison that can erase chakra..." Konan mumbled at a low volume. It was a slow thought as she struggled to wrap her mind around the concept. Chakra was the source of life for any living creature, and the very foundation of power for any ninja. In short, it was the core of their world. Yes there were natural toxins that could hinder and subdue it to a point, but eliminating it altogether? "It's so unheard of..."

"The tool is designed to contain the gas until it's released upon a jutsu-based command," Itachi clarified.

"A rather ironic approach," Kisame added beside him. "But it makes sense."