Part 12

“You still haven’t found anything? No information at all?”

            “Not so much as a ‘Missing’ poster.”

            It has been little more than a week since the girl was found near the border. Since then Konan had a few of the Akatsuki members looking for information concerning her identity. Sasori had been assigned to the North and West regions of the Fire Nation while Itachi and Kisame were assigned to the East and South regions. Unfortunately, nothing has come up from Sasori’s report and the other two weren’t back yet. “Perhaps she isn’t from the Fire Nation at all…” the co-leader mused. After a moment of silence she came to a decision. “Expand the search to River Nation. When Kisame and Itachi return I’ll send them to rendezvous with you in Takumi Village. I expect you all to be back in four days unless it results in being empty handed. Should that be the case, continue to Wind Nation.”

            The puppet master blinked. “Understood. And as a precaution I’ll notify my informant in the Sand Village so he can keep patrols distant from our locations.” Konan nodded in agreement. After all, there was no point in getting into a fight over what should be a simple matter. It was, in a word, useless.

            “Wouldn’t this mission be more suitable for Zetsu?” Kakuzu cut in. “Out of all the members, he has the most experience in surveillance.”

            Konan forced back a sharp remark. Being questioned wasn’t something she particularly enjoyed as co-leader. Though, she supposed an explanation was due. “Normally, Kakuzu, you would be right. With Zetsu’s skill we would possibly have more of a chance finding information on the girl. However-”

            “Paaaaannndaaaaaa!”

            Stifled laughs escaped from Hidan and Deidara as they heard the quick footsteps of the plant nin rushing from one room to the other to quiet the toddler before she disturbed anyone further. Though, their unspoken ridicule was more specifically directed toward the odd, yet somewhat-accurately fitting, nickname. Oh, grow up, Konan thought in irritation. “However,” she restarted. “He is busy keeping her out of trouble, considering she really only listens to him. Also, whatever he learns from her behavior alone could lead us to a hint as to who she is.”

            Deidara chuckled. “I didn’t realize ‘babysitter’ was part of his job description, yeah!”

            “It will be part of your job description if you don’t exercise the art of silence.”

            The arsonist gave his older partner a disbelieving look. “Sasori, my man, don’t tell me you actually agree with having that brat around?” he complained.

            Sasori sent him a threatening glare and he spoke with a dangerously calm tone. “You are the only brat here, Deidara. And if you don’t shut your mouth this instant I’ll sew it shut for you.” Aside from a groan and shooting an aggravated glance at his partner, Deidara went no further with his comments. Hidan, however…

            “You know, I still say it was a f**king mistake for that freak to bring her here,” he said folding his arms. “Jashin help us if anyone comes looking for her. And not to mention she’s just f**king annoying.”

            “Really?” Kakuzu replied. “Gee, I guess we never thought of that!

            “I can do without the sarcasm, old miser,” the Jashinist growled.

            He shrugged. “Well, if all you can do is state the obvious-”

            “Hold your tongues, the both of you,” Konan coldly interrupted. “Bickering is useless and helps nothing.” She met their surprised expressions with a hard glare. “If you put as much energy into assignments as you do into arguing, we may have actually found the girl’s home by now.”