Fourty Four

"Hey dove." Keigo's tired voice says, answering after the fourth or fifth ring.
"Hi. Are you busy?" You ask, swinging your feet off Sota's chair.
"I always have time for you." Keigo says, and you can hear the smile in his voice. "Are you okay?"
"I'm fine. I miss you." You say, the words slipping from you without you meaning for them to.
"I miss you too." He says with a sigh. "I think I'm nearly done here. Hopefully I can be back by next week."

"That'd be nice. Are you safe?" You ask, scratching the back of your neck lightly.
"Yeah I'm safe, don't you worry," He says soothingly. "Are you?"
"I'm okay. I have the boys to protect me while you're away." You say, smirking a little.
"Not sure Sota or Ren would win in a fight, dove." Keigo chuckles.
You laugh along too before falling quiet again, slowing the swinging of your feet.

"I saw Ichika yesterday." You say, wishing he was beside you rather than simply being a voice through the phone.
"You did? That's great!" Keigo says cheerfully. "Did you get on okay?"
"Yeah, she was scary at first though... you know. Because I was late." You say, raising an eyebrow. "You didn't tell me you were sending me to the Commission's Quirk therapist. Seems a bit extra, Keigs."

Keigo's quiet on the other side of the phone for a minute before a breezy laugh travels through.
"She's nice once you get to know her. She's gotten me out of some real funks before."
"Funks?" You ask, your curiosity overtaking your brain at the same time it remembered Keigo shut down at any form of personal question.
He just hums simply.
"She was nice." You agree. "She touched my hand without a second thought. Like, no fear at all even though I told her that it was entirely random when it happened."

Keigo falls silent again.
"Yeah." He says simply. You frown, wondering what you'd said to make him shut down that time. It only lasted a second though, his usual peppy voice making a reappearance. "Hey, when's your next appointment?"
"Next week." You say, before dropping your voice slightly. "Will you really be home by next week?"
"I should be." He confirms. "Are you home?"
"No. I'm at work." You say, looking around the downstairs.

"It's so late, Y/N. Go home, my angel." He says, yawning a little.
"You just want me to hang up." You say with a grin.
"Nu-uh." He denies childishly. "Just don't want you walking home in the dark. Is Kana walking you home at least?"
Your grin drops. Kana hadn't walked you home since you'd had to have a word with him, his entire demeanour being completely different than it had been before. He still wasn't over the telling off you'd given him, being almost too obedient and shy. It was like he was two different people, normal Kana when he was with Sota and Ren, and weird kiss-ass Kana when he was with you. You hated it.

"Ah, no." You sigh. "They all went to the bar tonight. I wanted to talk to you so I stayed behind."
"You should have gone home." Keigo says, concern clear in his voice. "Go home now please."
"Alright, alright." You say, rolling your eyes.
"I'll stay up until you're back." He says, obviously stifling another yawn.
You pull your jacket over yourself, grabbing your keys and locking the door behind you.

You'd been making an effort all day to not be scared of your own touch, like Dr. Ichika had said. You'd found yourself flinching a couple of times whenever you got a grainy or chalky sensation from whatever you'd touched, expecting it to be the item you were holding falling apart in your hands, but you'd been safe all day so far and it had lifted your spirits significantly.
"Are you working that hard?" You ask as Keigo yawns again.
"Yes and no." He says with a small sigh. "I'm struggling to sleep without you around."

You can't help the smile that creeps over your face.
"Really?" You ask, shuddering a little as you make your way through the cold back alleys.
"Really."
"Better come back home then." You say, wondering if you lay it on thick enough if he would actually ditch work and come back to you.
"I'm working on it." He replies, and you can hear his smile again. "Anything interesting happen at work lately?"

"Sota's client was hitting on him yesterday." You say with a giggle.
"Oh great! Maybe that'll get his attention off Ren for a bit, may be that Ren still needs some time to accept himself."
"Yeah... yeah..." You say, your grin going wider. "It was a woman in her fifties."
Keigo's silent for a second before he bursts into laughter.
"Oh man, I can only imagine how that went down." He manages to choke out between laughs.
"Apparently her thoughts were way louder than her voice." You say, approaching the door to your apartment block. "His face was so red."

Keigo laughs harder, making you giggle along with him as you unlock your flat door.
"I'm home now Keigs." You say, throwing your keys on the kitchen counter. "You can go to sleep."
"Mm. I miss you. I wish you were here." He says thoughtfully, and you smile softly as you make your way to the apartment towards the bedroom.
"Me too." You say. "Soon?"
"Soon."

You say a hushed goodbye to Keigo before hanging up, placing your phone carefully on the side before slipping into your pyjamas, cuddling into your blanket before reaching out for your phone again. You google Keigo's hero name, wondering if there were any new news articles about him regarding his absence. There didn't seem to be.
Instead you land on an article you'd never seen before, the report discussing how he had saved a six year old boy from falling several stories after he was a bit too clumsy trying to grab something before it fell from his homes balcony.
You click on the photo that accompanied it, zooming in to get a clearer picture. The little boy was sat on top of Keigos shoulders, his hands in the air as Keigo gripped his legs, a massive smile on his face, his vermillion wings outspread fully behind him, taking up the rest of the photo.

You smile as you gaze at the photo, your eyelids drooping, and your phone slowly slipping out of your hand.

-

Keigo sits on the hotel bed, his wings lowering as well as his phone. He'd been so glad to hear from her, her voice sounding so much more cheerful than it had been when he'd left.
He smiles softly as he rolls his phone between his palms. He was glad that he'd been able to get her in touch with Ichika if it was going to be such a drastic improvement just from one session.
"I told you you'd be fine." He mumbles to himself as he hits the lock screen button to see Y/Ns face. A photo of her from the museum as she admired the artwork graced the screen. A photo she hadn't even noticed him taking.

He looks at it until the screen turns to black again. That photo had seemed to be the only thing that had stopped him from going completely insane at times, his temper truly having been put to the test with this ridiculous undercover mission he'd been sent on.
He'd insisted at several points that the Commission must have received bad intel- that there was no way the man he'd been tailing was a member of the League of Villains. His day to day routine was solid. Keigo would even check in at random times some days to see if he'd still turn up at the areas he frequented without Keigos presence on the off chance the guy knew he was being tailed and he still would appear like clockwork.
Every hour of his life seemed to be accounted for. Keigo had even watched him for 48 hours solid to prove the fact he wasnt slinking off anywhere during the night, but they'd insisted he finish the job.

"Just one more week." They'd promised.
Keigo wondered if he was an idiot to trust them as he looks at the photo again, wishing he could reach into it and stroke her hair, gently push the grey streak behind her ear and kiss those soft lips of hers.
He sighs, placing the phone on the side and flopping down on the bed, lazily running his hand under his sweatpants, wondering if tiring himself out physically would stop him from staying up all night, his wings tingling and his eyes darting from street to street, desperately searching for people that may need him.
Searching for Y/N. Her beautiful crimson eyes. Terrified of the danger she could find herself in so far away from him.

He sighs, pulling his hand back and pulling the blanket over him. No use. He was too stressed out about the time he was wasting. Time he could be spending with Y/N.
He stares at the ceiling for a long while before closing his eyes and praying for sleep.

'I can't wait for this week to be over.' He thinks to himself, desperately trying to shut his brain off for long enough to get at least some sleep tonight.