Regina Brownell - A Walk In Your Shoes

Showcase entry for MissJina

Pitch: 

Pushing The Limits meets Perfect Chemistry

When high school queen bee Marnie is partnered with punk-rocker Flint for an ice-breaker assignment, she never expected to be so in sync with him. Falling for him will cost her hard-earned popularity, but letting go will crush her heart.

Blurb: 

The queen bee realizes there's more to life than popularity after falling in love with a rocker.

High School senior Marnie Bennett has it all, popularity, money, and a handsome jock at her side. To everyone on the outside she's the "it" girl, but deep down she's screaming for help. Her world shifts when she's paired with punk-rocker Flint Rogers on a writing assignment.

To walk in Flint's shoes means that Marnie has to open her heart to someone who isn't in her circle, but the more time they spend together the harder it is for both to admit they were wrong about each other. With a common love for the same music, Marnie and Flint begin to create a bond stronger than either of them are ready for.

Mamie's life begins to fall apart when a family scandal comes to light and her friends harbor a massive secret. Flint is the only one there to help pick up the broken pieces. She knows he would make her happy, but she struggles with the idea of being with someone who isn't popular. After a tragic accident leaves Flint fighting for his life, Marnie knows if she wants to keep him in her life she has to grow up and learn that life isn't a popularity contest and that we can't help who we love. Can Marnie fix what she broke or will her stubborn ways keep her from the boy she fell in love with?

First 1K words: 

I wake to a soft yellow light illuminating the room, and the click of my bedroom door closing.

"Lucille," I moan, still half awake.

She sure knows how to ruin my sleep. It's only a quarter to six in the morning and here she comes traipsing into the room like she owns the place by throwing open the blinds and nudging me awake. I groan and cover my face with the violet down comforter draped over my bed. I don't think I'll ever truly get enough sleep, it's like my brain never shuts off.

"Marnie up and at 'em." Lucille passes by the door giving three quick knocks, then jets off to go make breakfast.

At least there's a highlight to waking up at the crack of dawn. Lucille's cooking has always been spectacular. Her breakfast muffins are to die for. Without her as our Nanny, our house would fall apart. Especially since dad burns practically everything.

I let out a lip curling groan, before finally throwing the comforter off of me.

My closet looks like a tornado passed through it. I step inside and attempt to sort through the disaster, sniffing each outfit to test for its cleanliness. The temperatures this time of year are chilly as we hit the dead of winter. All of my cute clothing gets shoved aside for hot cashmere sweaters, and big puffy jackets.