Dene Plews - Queen of Thieves

Showcase entry for DLynnP

Pitch:

Robin Hood meets Throne of Glass.

A princess-playing-thief must find the magical heirloom stolen by the notorious King of Thieves in order to save the life of her uncle, the King. 

Blurb:

Life as a princess is complicated. Robbing thieves. Feeding the poor. And settling back inside her gilded cage by sunrise.

Elowen, Princess of Invermir by day and petty criminal by night, must marry a noble lord to become queen one day.

As the tournament to win her hand approaches, Elowen's world is turned upside down when she's invited to play a game of cards against the loathsome thief and member of the notorious fox head guild, Birch. Things get heated when her identity is compromised, and a brawl ensues, costing her more than she bargained for.

She's banned from the Rook-her sanctuary, and she is forced to accept her role as heir and future queen. Kissing tournament winners and dancing with mysterious strangers at masked balls are all part of the game, but after her beloved uncle the king-falls ill, Elowen must decide whether to keep playing by the rules or break them. Even if it means trusting the last person she ever expected.

First 1K words:

Far from the ever-watchful eyes of the palace, under a cloak matching the night sky, Princess Elowen Lancaster sauntered through the shadowed streets of Invermere like a wraith—irritated and spoiling for a fight and where better to pick one than at the Rook. The safest place for Invermere's finest criminals to congregate and mingle under one roof.

Armed to the teeth with an assortment of freshly honed weapons strapped to her person, she approached the renowned pub, earning a lengthy sigh from the burly doorman twice her size, standing watch just outside the heavy oak door. Ready to turn away anyone who didn't fit the... criteria.

She lifted a faint smile as she approached. They knew better than to deny her access, even if they hadn't known her true identity or the fact that she was responsible for the damages she'd caused the last time she was here. For two years, she'd frequented the pub, spending more than her fair share of coin on the piss poor ale she was supposed to like and watered-down wine Elowen could have enjoyed elsewhere in a more lavish setting, but she didn't come for the pleasantries.

The smell of sweat, piss, and stale ale crashed into her like a rush of summer wind as the man next to her heaved the heavy door toward him with a pull of the iron handle, causing the sounds of the pub to flood through her and into the empty street behind.

As always, she flicked a gold mark into the man's awaiting palm. A good show of appreciation for all his hard work. It was really the only reason he tolerated her.