b. gomes - The Highjinks War

Showcase entry for call_me_clover

Pitch:

Teenage James Bond meets every prank-filled sibling rivalry ever known.

An elite private school student is in the midst of a prank war turned real war when she uncovers the new Headmaster's plans to murder members of the student body. While everyone is frozen scared, she unites the school and leads the charge in the battle for survival, armed with spy gadgets, delinquent talents and steel-forged friendships.

Blurb:

Nicole, an ambitious but overlooked student at elite private school, Waterbridge Academy, is ready for her junior year to be all kinds of fun.

While her focus should be classes and homework, they take second string to Hijinks, the epic prank battle between two student armies, fought over the course of the year. Tension and enthusiasm are running high; winning means bragging rights and not having to forfeit comforts, like the best pizza in town, to the opposition for the next year.

As part of the Thunderbird army, Nicole is a recon and stealth specialist. She spends half her time spying and hovering like a fly just outside of the Hellhounds leaders' notice, so she can learn their plans. The other half is spent carrying out clandestine after-curfew pranks at her superior's often short-notice orders. To resident hottie "General" Kellen Fitzpatrick of the Thunderbird army, Nicole is little more than a sibling. That is—until the war turns real.

When the students of Waterbridge Academy are forced into a battle for their lives, will Nicole be strong enough to lead the charge?

First 1K words:

The students of Waterbridge Academy were at war.

There isn't much else I could say about the academy as there wasn't much else we cared about. Our regular lives were full of the difficulties that came with being a teenager, and the added drama of coming from families with status and money. At Waterbridge, our home away from our families, Hijinks was our escape and took up most of our lives.

"You think he'd know how to park."

I examined the crooked parking job while I twirled the keys on my finger, not nearly as surprised as my bestie, Jess. The green sports car, obnoxious in a way that made it perfect for a car chase movie, belonged to the General. Ten minutes earlier it had swerved onto campus, tires screaming, horn blaring and cursing fit for a group of sailors streaming out the windows. It crashed into the parking lot, veering wildly until it screeched into a spot just narrowly vacated by two boys from the swim team.

I gestured at the destroyed shrubs and smirked. "With that kind of driving?"

"But that was because she grabbed the wheel." Jess chewed her lip thoughtfully. "You know, I wonder why they came together?"