• C h a p t e r S i x t e e n •

Chat Noir and Ladybug got a lot of staring.

They walked quietly among the streets, hands behind their backs, nervously peering around. Ladybug's earlier-used Miraculous Ladybug had repaired the damage they'd caused, but the emotional trauma they'd caused to the people clearly still remained.

Some kids even yelped at the sight of them and ducked behind their parents, who shot them wary looks.

Ladybug exchanged a worried look with her partner, who looked immensely uncomfortable. He was fidgeting with his ring, his shoulders tense as he stared sadly back at the people.

"I think we should head to the TV station," Ladybug murmured to Chat, who leaned closer to hear her better. "That'll be the best way to apologize to everyone at the same time."

"Good idea as usual, m'lady." Chat Noir squared his shoulders and continued walking forward. They'd decided to walk on the streets instead of leaping over the rooftops like normal in an attempt to convey the message that they weren't a threat anymore.

Unfortunately, it wasn't working so far.

A little while later, they arrived at the station and hesitantly pushed inside. Some workers around the front lobby froze at the sight of them, and some of them quickly took off to hide. Ladybug heaved a sigh, wishing she could borrow the Bunny Miraculous, go back in time, and change everything that happened. Unfortunately, time travel wasn't usually a good idea, and often caused more problems than it fixed.

She and Chat would just have to deal with what they'd done, like normal people who didn't have powers.

Sullenly, they made their way up the many stairs until they got to the main recording room. Nadja and Alec were inside, discussing something Ladybug couldn't catch. It didn't matter, because a second later Alec spotted them and stopped mid-speech, his eyes widening.

She half expected them to scream and run away, but inside, Nadja grabbed the nearest broadcasting camera, swung it towards them, and fumbled to turn it on. Alec helped her get it set up, and as soon as it was live, she jumped in front of it. "Nadja Shamack here, live from the studio! Don't be bemused, it's just the news! Guess who just showed up out of nowhere?!"

Again, Ladybug and Chat Noir glanced at each other, then Ladybug took a deep breath and focused on the camera. "Hey, Paris," she said quietly, clearing her throat. "This is Ladybug and Chat. We just . . . wanted to say we're sorry for what happened. We still can't tell you our secret identities, so we can't really explain what happened in our personal lives that caused this mess. But we can promise that it won't happen again. From this day forward we resolve to continue what used to be the normal. We will protect you from any harm. And . . ." She glanced at Chat, who took a deep breath and nodded. "The threat of Hawk Moth is over," she went on with a smile, and both Nadja and Alec gasped. "So . . . overall, you will be safer. But we're still sorry for what we've done. We're not sure if we can ever make it up, but we'll do our best."

That was all they'd come to say. No excuses. Just an apology, an update, and a hope for a better future.

Nadja and Alec continued to gape at them for a full minute, the camera still on and filming. Even though the room was so quiet, she knew that the majority of Paris was watching them right at that moment.

Very quietly and slowly, Nadja reached over and turned off the camera.