• C h a p t e r T h r e e •

As the next school day arrived, Marinette ran quickly through the sprinkling rain to her highschool before it started downright pouring. When she met Alya inside, she was just about to greet her with a usual hug and smile, but her best friend's frowning expression made her hesitate.

"What's up?" she inquired, a little bewildered.

Alya placed her hands on her hips. "First off, our get-together was cancelled for what reason, if I may ask? Second, Lila said you promised to ruin her life when you two were alone!" Marinette gasped in shock, and Alya added, "I know you don't like her for whatever reason, but you're taking this way too far."

"I never did that!" she protested, horrified. "Alya, since when did you start taking Lila's words over mine?"

"She was in tears," Alya growled. "You can't fake something like that. I saw her; it was awful!"

"Alya—!"

"Later. Just later."

Marinette could do nothing but stand, gaping in horror, as her BFF walked stiffly away. A sharp rock rose in her throat, threatening to bring tears to her eyes. Then she swallowed hard and forced her emotions back. This was all just a misunderstanding.

But it was still difficult to be cut down by someone she cared about almost more than anyone.

Remember that quote: "The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it can defend itself."

Lila will trip up eventually. I won't have to do anything. And I shouldn't. Adrien was right.

I'll make it.

Walking slowly to class, she quickly noticed the way her classmates were turning away from her when they saw her. She took a deep breath and sat down tensely in her normal seat beside Alya, but a little farther than she usually did.

Keep it together.

Ms. Bustier watched the teenage students find their seats for a moment, then began the lesson in the way she always did. Marinette did her best to pay attention, but she was having trouble keeping her feelings hidden, and she could feel a pair of cold green eyes burning the back of her neck. Even without looking, she knew it was Super Liar herself: Lila Rossi.

The lesson dragged by slower than ever. Class after class throughout the day, it was the same. She couldn't focus no matter what she tried, and even had to visit the principal's office in her chemistry class.

By the time it was finally over, it had officially begun pouring, and since she'd once again forgotten an umbrella, she was forced to walk home alone in the rain.

At last she climbed straight up into her room, collapsed on her pink chaise, and buried her face in her hands. Lila's words from that day echoed around in her head, and the fact that they were now coming true eventually brought the tears.

"You're either with me, or against me."

"You will lose your friends, and wind up all alone . . ."

The only thing she was sure of was that Adrien would not fall for this pretty little liar.

But Adrien was not all of her friends.

And he was not there.

Someone . . .

. . . please . . .

. . . save . . .

. . . me . . .