• C h a p t e r E i g h t e e n •

The crowd at the funeral was fairly large, with Gabriel being a famous fashion designer and Emilie herself having been an actress. Most of the people Marinette had never met, but she'd seen around Paris. She hadn't personally known Adrien's mother for very long, but half the pain was seeing Adrien so . . . quiet.

She'd noticed he tended to get like this when he was struggling emotionally. Not wanting to draw too much attention, kind of withdrawing. His eyes were glistening, but he was as quiet as could be. All Marinette knew to do was stay by his side and hold his hand. 

Gabriel had wanted the coffin lid closed for the event, since the glass cover of her coffin in the Agreste basement had allowed him to see her so often that to be able to see her like this again would be too difficult. By the time it was over, and most of the guests had left, Adrien was crouched beside Emilie's fresh grave. Even with the reduced amount of people around, he remained silent in his grieving. 

Marinette crouched beside him. "Just tell me when you're ready," she whispered, and he nodded.

Nathalie and Gabriel walked up to join them. Gabriel's eyes were reddened as well, but he too did not give voice to his tears. Like father, like son, Marinette thought sadly.

Nathalie's face was streaked with tears, but she also wore a gentle smile. She held Gabriel's hand in her own, the same way Marinette held Adrien's. 

The four of them stood there for another twenty minutes or so, before Adrien finally stood up again with a sigh. His green gaze remained locked on his mother's grave for just another few seconds before he turned to Marinette and his parents and mumbled, "I'm ready when you guys are."

Nathalie and Marinette nodded, but Gabriel's eyes lingered on the ground for one last minute. He swallowed hard, then whispered, "Goodbye, my love." Then he squeezed Nathalie's hand, took a long breath, and nodded as well.

🐞🐾🐞

The next day, Adrien and Marinette resumed going to school for the first time in months. Thankfully, it had been closed for part of the time for the safety of the students and staff, so they hadn't missed too much work.

As they walked into the courtyard together, students standing around collectively stopped what they were doing and turned to stare. Having already experienced something like this as Ladybug and Chat Noir, they simultaneously hesitated, wondering how the others would react to their return. Only Alya, as far as they knew, was aware of their secret identities.

"Where have you guys been?!" Kim demanded, making his way over to them, and the other students joined him.

"You've been gone for six weeks, two days, and fourteen hours," Max informed them.

Alya just came and hugged Marinette, while Nino tackled Adrien in a bear hug. The students who weren't in their class drifted away, while their classmates flocked around them, chattering and asking questions. It was a little overwhelming; it'd been some time since Marinette had been surrounded by this many people without the protection of her mask. Seeing this, Alya took her BFF's arm and started guiding her away from them to their home room, with Adrien right beside her as well.

The only two classmates who hadn't run to greet them were, with no surprise, Chloe and Lila. However, for once, Lila didn't have anyone with her. The Miraculous Ladybugs hadn't taken away anyone's memories. Everyone still knew she'd faked almost every aspect of her life.

Feeling just a bit guilty, Marinette withdrew from Alya and Adrien for a few seconds just to venture cautiously over to the Italian girl's side. Lila glared up at her bitterly.

"It's not too late, Lila," she said quietly. "We'll still be your friends if you're simply true to yourself and us."

Lila stood up with a huff. "I don't need any friends. I don't need anyone," she snapped, and stormed away. Marinette watched her sadly.

Alya walked up to her. "She won't talk to anyone," she murmured in Marinette's ear. "Her mom's putting her in therapy."

She sighed. "Hopefully it'll help her."

When she turned to resume walking towards the classroom, Adrien was watching her with a proud sparkle in his eyes. She remembered the advice he'd once given her when it came to Lila, and realized once again that he'd been right.

She settled into her seat beside Alya, beginning to smile. It was a new day. The past was in the past. She wasn't alone. She had friends who loved her. Her favorite Kitty who adored her had turned out to be the love of her life all along. Her old nemesis was now her future father-in-law, ironically. Akumas were a thing of the past now.

She and Adrien would still lead the exciting lives of superheroes, but on a more normal scale. They would have each other's backs as long as they lived.

Everything was going to be okay.

THE END