• C h a p t e r S e v e n t e e n •

Unsure of what Nadja and Alec would say, and honestly too nervous to stick around and find out, both Chat and Ladybug turned abruptly and hurried out of the room seconds after Ladybug had finished talking. People around the studio continued to stare at them as they tried and failed to walk unhurriedly back down to the doors.

Their gazes burned like fire on Chat Noir's neck. He refused to make eye contact with anyone, terrified to see their expressions. What if they thought this was all another lie? What if they rejected their apology, and he and Marinette could never be their heroes again? What if . . . What if . . . ?!

A gentle hand took his, and he glanced over to see his partner giving him a calming look. This was a flip, he realized ruefully. When had he become the over-anxious one, and she the calm and reassuring one?

Maybe it was because of this whole mess. Letting things get to her and worrying had gotten her akumatized. Trying to stay calm about everything had resulted with his trying to bottle everything up, including his paying the price that had almost killed him. Maybe if he'd expressed that earlier, he could've gotten to say a proper goodbye to his mother . . .

They approached the doors and wordlessly pushed outside, only to freeze in their steps when they emerged into daylight.

A huge crowd had gathered outside the doors, the majority of them holding their phones. A few people looked conflicted, but most of them were slack-jawed and wide-eyed. Some were stoic. And some were smiling.

Before either of them could figure out what to do, Alya suddenly pushed her way to the front, sprinted for Ladybug, tackled her in a hug, and burst out, "I'm so glad you're back. And I'm so sorry."

Ladybug hugged her back tightly and squeezed her eyes shut, starting to tear up. Seconds later, Nino also came barreling from the crowd, and without thinking, Chat hurried to him and wrapped him in a tight hug.

"I'm so sorry for hurting you," he mumbled guiltily, grateful to giddiness that his old friend was okay. Of course, Nino didn't know he was Adrien, but as far as he knew, it was Chat Noir who'd Cataclysmed him. And for that, he definitely owed his old pal a serious apology.

Nino seemed surprised and a little hesitant, but after a few seconds he returned the hug. It wasn't as heartfelt as Ladybug and Alya's, probably since Nino didn't know who he was. But to Chat Noir, it meant so much. He'd have to do the same thing later, as Adrien.

Nino and Alya's actions were all it took. Following their lead, the majority of the crowd shuffled closer and began what must've been the world's biggest and most chaotic group hug. Ladybug and Chat Noir were stuck in the center, clinging to one another's hand in an effort to stay together in the heartwarming madness.

"We forgive you!" some people called.

"You were always here for us!" someone shouted. "Let us be here for you guys!"

"You've repaired your damage already!" some others chorused, although both of them knew they hadn't repaired the trauma in everyone. Miraculous Ladybug couldn't fix hurt feelings. They would have to do their best to repair them the hard way, for those who hadn't forgiven them.

It was something of a reconciliation parade as they tried to fumble through the crowded streets. Their parents knew where they were, but the official funeral for Emilie was going to be held that evening, and it was nearing late afternoon. As heartfelt as this was, they couldn't stick around for long.

Eventually, after at least another half hour, they managed to slip away and detransform. Adrien stood in silence, staring sadly at the ground.

This wasn't like when he'd first found out his mother was "missing." There was no uncertainty this time.

She was gone. For real.

The thought weighed on his heart like a rock, but then he felt Marinette take his hand. As he met her loving bluebell gaze, he took one last deep breath and managed a strained smile.

There was also the good difference in this time. He didn't have to face this alone. His father hadn't been there for him the first time. No one really had.

This time, he had his dear Lady.

She linked her arm with his as they headed back inside his mansion to prepare for the funeral.

Time to say goodbye.